SWR 2x10 tone opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RS, Oct 27, 2003.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I borrowed my friends SWR Goliath jr (2x10) cab to play around with this week. I have an Eden 410 and 115, I love the tone but I am looking to down size. I thought of going with 2 SWRs.

Compared to the edens, the mid range seems pretty scooped. Do you have the same perception?

Amy recommendations for two smaller lighter cabinets with a balanced, full sound?
  2. Dunno about the current generation SWR cabs (I believe they were redesigned for a different sound), but the G I and II signature sound is slightly scooped. Comparing the Eden XLT cab to the SWR will really make the SWR sound scooped, since the XLT has a little extra in the mid/low mid area.

Eden has a flatter sounding cab called the XST. Both Bergantino and Epifani make relatively flat sounding 2X10s, though each has a mild coloration or "sound". Acme makes a really flat and relatively lightweight cab, but it's less efficient than the others.

And that's just talking about the 2X10s. Page through the older threads in this forum. The search for lighter, more portable, yet good sounding cabs is discussed extensively.