SWR 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by onebassplayer, Sep 9, 2001.

1. I just blew 2 speakers in my Goliath, and would like to take the rest of the guts and put it in a 2x10 cab - anyone know where I can get a hollow 2x10 cab ?:confused:
  2. Apparently, there is a magnetic problem as well, so I would need to replace the speakers all together - the quote I got was close to $500.... at that price, I'll buy a new one. But I would rather just scrap the cab, take what's left and make a 2x10.
  3. $500! Wow! I got all eight of my 8's replaced for $235.
  4. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Nope, but I will happily take your old cab off your hands. Seriously....e-mail me if you decide to do this.
  5. ya beat me too it CYoung!!:)
  6. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    How old is your cabinet? Magnetic problems? I think your being "hornschwaggled"! In twenty years of gear dealings I have NEVER seen speakers lose their magnetism. Also, 250.00 apiece to replace them, that's robbery! SWR probably would sell you 4 speakers for that. Call N.E. Speaker in Boston, 781-438-1786 they do warranty work for everyone, and they're amazing. Good luck!
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sonic sold unloaded cabs, don't know if they still do.

I agree with GG, that price sounds ridiculous for two SWR 10's. What's the magnetic problem?
  8. Thanks for all the information... I have had the 4x10 for a while (probably around 5 years). I have never had a problem, then I noticed that 2 of the speakers were not working (that was about a year ago). It has been sitting in my basement ever since. I would still like to use the cab, but will sell it if I can't convert it (or at least get 2 new 10" speakers). If nothing works out, CYoung & rexspangle, I'll get rid of it.

Brad, the quote I got was from Guitar Center/Venemans, and it was actually a little more than $500... if that is a rip off (and it sounds like it is), then I'll check a couple of other sources.

Thanks again for all the help.
  9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Have you opened it up and tested each speaker yourself?
  10. Yea... they are dead for sure.
  11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I can't imagine SWR 10's being as much as a Euphonic Audio 10 and I think their replacements are well under $100 each.

I'd get a line estimate with costs for each part, just for grins. Is it just the speakers? Is the crossover okay?

Better yet, I'm sure Atomic Music can get SWR drivers for you, they're a dealer. If you don't know the guys there see Lou or Joe and tell them I sent you. I know that sounds corny but they're good friends of mine*

*you'd get great service either way;)
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    just call SWR and ask how much new speakers are direct. guitar center would fvck you for sure.

13. Thanks. I'll drop by Atomic tomorrow. The crossover works fine. I can still use the cabnet, I just happend to notice on a gig that 2 of the speakers were not moving while I was playing. "After further review", I found that neither speaker was working at all... not even a fart.

I know Lou, so I'll see what he can do for me. In the mean time, I blew my whole "son of bertha" cab last night - both horn and 15"... but that was totally my stupiditiy - one day I'll learn that you can't push 1700 watts through a 350 watt cabnet. Oh well....:rolleyes: