Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 2x10c?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NJL, Nov 11, 2002.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    anyone buy one of these yet?

i am kind of curious?

how does it sound and what type of gear do you use with it?

thanks

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the cool thing about it is that, unlike the redhead, it's cheaper than its equivilant head/cab counterpart.

i'm sure it sounds exactly like a WM4004 and WM2x10T, but stuck together.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bump.....

4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have a WM2X10T, and it is a nice sounding little cab. I use it with a Hartke 5000 and a WM1X15

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bumpers:D

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i know this combo is very new....

anyone buy it or try it out yet?

7. There's one at the music store in my town.. i played it for an hour or so and played it against hartke/eden/swr and some other stuff.. it is obviously not going to be an eden with 4x10s but it is every bit as loud as any random hartke or gallien 350 watt to 500 watt head. I really liked the sound, and the 10s had as much thump as a fifteen. It's substantially louder than a wm 15 combo and it sounds quite a bit better as well. there is a little buzz with the horn on, but unless you're really funky or like to hurt peoples ears.. the horn will most likely be turned off anyway. It is a lot of sound for 260 watts, and we plugged in a 4x10 to it for 400 watts and it really filled the room. it would keep up with any fairly large band. probably not what you're looking for if you're doing million dollar studio projects, but overall it thumps and has a nice tone for any type of music.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks for the post, now we have some input as to what this little monster is able to do. thanks...

9. I know this is a pretty old thread to resurrect, but it seemed like the best choice, rather than start a new one.

Anyway, I just picked up a WM 2x10C on clearance from GC, and I have to say, "wow!" I briefly considered one many months ago, but the $899 price scared me off. Well when I read the thread about SWR discontinuing the WM series (in favor for an improved line or merging into the WorkingPro series, I bet), I had to jump on it. I got GC to match the MF price of $499. I just couldn't turn it down.

So this is one impressive combo. Not exactly easy to transport, but it certainly could be worse. It's got a nice, clean sound, and plenty of power to spare, from what I can tell. And they designed one good cabinet... the manual says the freq range goes down to 20 Hz! I tested it out with my P-Bass clone, which lays down some serious thunder, and my 5-string, and this thing has no issues with lows. I like the relative simplicity of the tone shaping, and all the little features like the XLR out, tuner out, and speaker on/off switches... my Ampeg B-100R doesn't have any of those. It's nice to have something resembling a pro-level amp. I can't imagine having any trouble playing gigs around here with this thing, and an extra cab if need be. If I have to go more than 400 watts, there'd better be a PA there.

I suspect what SWR comes out with at NAMM will be more impressive than what I just got, but who the hell can beat this amp for $499?

10. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    I just picked one up too. For that price I couldn't pass it up. Pretty sweet.

But they day after I got it the clipping LED stopped working. What's up with that? I thought LEDs lasted forever?

Anyone know if they're easy to change out? It's under warranty, of course, but the closest authorized SWR repair place is 40 miles away. Or maybe something else is wrong?

11. Hey man, glad you found that deal too... it seems like a good amp so far for me.

About the LED... if you change it, you'll void the warranty, I can almost guarantee it. Call SWR and find a repair joint or find out what they want you to do about it, because with 99.99% of warranties out there, if you crack open the equipment yourself, the warranty's done like dinner. not worth it. Other than that, re-read the manual, and check all the settings to make sure. Maybe you're not actually clipping it? Looks could be deceiving, but this combo seems like a tank... an LED shouldn't crap out so quickly. But if it did, find out where to take it for a warranty repair! (just a suggestion, of course.)

Best o' luck!

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Maybe you accidentally pulled the Limiter knob out (bypasses the limiter and hence the LED).

Guys, this combo really wakes up if you attach an external. I have an Avatar 115 hooked up to mine right now and it's loud.

13. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    OK, it's loud, but how does it sound? Is the bass still pretty tight? Also how well does it stack? Are they the same size? Do the corners match up?

14. As long as you matched it up with a cabinet that will reproduce the tone well, it'd be great. It sounds fabulous. Very clean, very punchy. The EQ is quite effective, and you can get a wide variety of tones between that & the Aural Enhancer knob. I think it's got an excellent tone. The other day I brought it to an audition for a a blues/rock band and the guitarist had to tell me after almost every tune how much he liked the sound. It's loud, it sounds pretty. There you have it.

As soon as I have some more disposible income I'll be grabbing an Avatar too... not sure which speaker configuration though. I'm leaning towards the 212 though, but we shall see. Though, given how low this combo can go, I just may grab a 410!

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The bass is still SWR tight. The Avatar 15 IME doesn't add that much boom really, just more volume. To stack it I have the 210 on it's side on top of the 15. I run my EQ with a mid hump and flat lows and highs (reverse smiley) to get a clear tone that stands out.