1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR 2x12 Twelve Pack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scubaduba, May 5, 2006.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Who has one of these? SWR discontinued these (as well as the 4x12 version) but a store near me had one left over that I snagged last weekend at a great price. I'm wondering who else has one of these "lo-fidelity" SWR cabs? What amp heads are you using with it? I really like mine; great bottom end and real punchy. There's some of these still out there available for purchase.

2. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago as well and I really dig it. I run it through a Workingpro 400 and it works out well for me.

At some point, I'd like to add a 15 to it and really make it an over-the-top low-end producing rig.

3. One of the reasons I got one was for the weight compared to my Goliath III. Love the sound and have used it alone on two weekend gigs. Ample lows and a clear midrange and high end paired with a GK 800RB.

Don't miss a tweeter at all. Actually I played thirty years without one so it's NOT essential for me.

Only complaint is it's harder to transport than the GIII 'cause of no wheels. I saw a device in a thread several months ago that attached somehow to the cab and provided a telescoping handle and casters like a rolling suitcase. If anybody knows of such a device pleses let me know.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I am waiting on a 12-Stack myself. I drooled over this line when released but never pulled the trigger. I'm gonna sit my Classic 400 all tube head on it.

FYI:

I hate tweeter / horns in bass cabs
    I hate carpet / fuzz covering on cabs

and I prefer 12" drivers.... it's like SWR made these things for me specifically :bassist:

5. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    My 12 stack will be here on the 9th. I wouldn't mind getting the 12 pack to go with it if anybody knows where I can find one. 6x12's,gotta be killer!

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I've been thinking the same :bassist:

7. SAME DAY MUSIC got my 12 Pack from N.J. to Mississippi in three days. See if they have any left.

James, I'm betting you'll really like it as much as I do!!

8. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I used to run two of the old SWR Bigfoot 2x12 + tweeeters. I think they used Bag End Speakers in them.Sounded great with my old SVT2. Silliest thing I ever did was selling them.

9. I kind of like how they're set linear instead of offset. Not sure if it makes a HUGE difference tonally, but it seems it would be easier to haul around.

BTW, I HIGHLY recommend adding the 4x12 to the 2x12 James.........not as if you needed ME to tell you that. ;) WALL O' SOUND! Freakin' ridiculous!

Also, everytime I hear the word "Bigfoot", I think of Larry Graham and his octave pedal........:D

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    something is biting at the back of my neck whispering...

"Just buy 2 12-Stacks... you know you want to."

11. Uh yeah, that'd be me, in the back, yo, back here!

DO IT!

LOL! :D

(Imagine the ridiculousness of the THUMPIN you'd lay down.................Wow.)

12. pmcd

pmcd Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Denver,CO
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
  14. You are going to love your new SWR with all that you've said ^_^

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm REALLY glad that there aren't any of the 212's for $320 any longer. I have the money now and I'd love to have one. I got to play two of them stacked at a GC close by and I was in heaven. No need for the tweeter in those things. You won't miss 'em I can assure you.........hmmmmm.....Maybe I can get my buddy at GC to drop the price.......gulp....:help:

16. 6x12"?
    That´s what i´m using(marshall VBC and a custom built 2x12")!
    I really enjoy it.
    no horns for me eather. . . no, no.
    Can´t really compare it to the SWR´s cuz´i have only tried the412 in a store once.

17. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    i have a 12 pavk and love it, deep low end and nice definion without any of the clatter associated with some tweeters. it's a great cab.

18. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Anyone have the dimensions of the 12 stack handy? I think I might be interested but I need to know if it can fit in my car...

19. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I got two of 'em. I put casters on one of 'em. I don't need no steeenking tweeters! This is a great sounding bin! And I, too, like the side-by-side form factor.

I'm sort of dumbfounded why these haven't ever been given much publicity by SWR. You never saw 'em in stores. They certainly never got much chat in this forum (until recently, that is). These are great boxes. Beautifully made. 11 ply birch. Great looking tolex (no rat fur). And finally, they really sound great. Full and rich at low volumes and kick butt when you crank.

Oh, well. I'm happy! Good luck to the rest of you trying to find one (or two).