Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 350 output question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RS, Dec 18, 2000.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a 350 swr that puts out 350w at 4ohms. But the minimum load is 2 ohm. If I run two 4 ohm cabinets, will that increase the output?
    Anyone try the SWR 750? If so do you perceieve it as a much louder amp or only slightly louder vs the 350?

Thanks,
    RS

2. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Yes, to 450 watts.

3. RS, I just bought the 750, and I think its way louder. It's not that I hardly have to turn it up (usually preamp= 2 o'clock and master at 12 or 2), but you can just feel that it's in much better control of the sound at high volumes.
    I use it with two goliath III cabs.
    The sound is the same as the 350... very good!!!

Lars

4. jwoertz

jwoertz

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    SWR recommends against running the Bass 350 at 2 ohms, even though all their material says it CAN run at 2 ohms. I tried it once and the fan was constantly on, which confirmed what the tech at SWR was saying (that it would run too hot). I have one Goliath Junior III (the 4 ohm model) running with the Bass 350 and it sounds loud! I'd go with the Bass 750 if you want to run two 4 ohm cabinets.

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    jwoetz,
    What would be the output of the 750 with two 4 ohm cabs? one 4 ohm cab? Why is it okay to run the 750 at 2 ohms but not the 350? What cabs on the market can handle 750 w?
    I know the megolith and ampeg 8x10s can. Others?

Thanks,
    RS

6. jwoertz

jwoertz

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    I have no idea about the 750! I have a 350 and called SWR's tech support about the 2 ohm load. The tech was very clear about how what's printed about a 2 ohm load on the 350 may not be a very accurate or safe idea.

7. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have a Bass 750 and according to the manual, the minimum load is 2.6 ohms...I run two 8 ohm cabinets(a 4 ohm load) and it doesn't seem like much. I think that the power ratings are a little over exagerated, but I love the amp anyway. It doesn't make my bass sound artificial like my Ampeg did. I run the volume at about 8 or 9 and the gain around 6 or so.