Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 350 vs Pre/poweramp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tmu, Apr 12, 2004.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Hey, I am building up a rig. I have an Eden 410XLT, and an 83 P-Bass. I am considering a used SWR bass 350, but I have started to think about going with a pre/power amp setup. I play harder rockish music, both pick and fingerstyle. The preamps I was considering were the BMAX, Sansamp RBI, SVPCL, and SVP-Pro. I would get a QSC 850 to go with it (I don't want to blow my Eden with much more power).

I was wondering if the SWR would be a bad choice (because I pick) and what pre-power setup would be better.

Thanks.
    T.

2. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I would go with the pre/power setup. It's more flexible as your needs change, you can just change out one component, rather than have to buy a whole new head.

I use an SVP-Pro with a Carvin DCM1500 into my XLT. I love the sound, I can go from a nice, warm, clear, almost hi-fi tone, to downright grit. Don't worry about blowing your cab with too much power, it's really good to have that extra headroom. The QSC RMX line you mentioned is highly regarded around here as a very good amp for bassists on a budget. I like the the Carvin DCM line, also a good "bang for your buck" amp. They both cost around the same.

3. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    If this were the case, which preamp would you recommend? The BMAX, SVP pro, SVPCL, or Sansamp RBI?

4. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Well, the only ones I have tried are the Bmax and the SVP-Pro. I prefer the tube warmth of the SVP over the Bmax, which sounded a bit harsh to me.

The SVP-CL might be what you're looking for, it's much like the SVP-Pro, just with no footswitchable eq, and other small features. Noise issues of the Pro are supposed to be cured in the CL. The Sansamp RBI is another highly regarded product on this board, a very tube-like tone for little money.

Do a search on each of these preamps and you'll find a plethora of information here.

5. i really dig my RBI...though I'm REALLY GAS'in for an Eden Navigator or Aguilar DB859 (i think that's the model of their preamp)

6. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I am weary of the RBI, but I have heard good things... I guess I'm scared of "tube emulation"...

7. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    well i for one don't think the swr would be a bad choice- i have one and it sounds good and is loud. you can get a good variety of sounds out of it, and you can get 'em used for about $400 now. a pre/power amp is more flexible if you wanna' swap part of it out, sure, but you can always resell an amp too and get something different. your best bet is to play through some stuff and see what you like best (which has been said before and surely will be said again, but it is the best advice). no offense to my fellow tb'ers, but everyone's taste is different, and someone's good tone is someone else's blah. :bassist:

8. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Is portability one of your concerns? The SWR head should weigh less than the pre/amp rig...it can also fit in a shallow 3 space rack case, although that might not be the same for a pre/amp in a 4 space.

9. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

I was just playing through that setup at home the other day. I have one of the original SWR "Basic 350" amps (bought it new when they first came out). Let me just say that it is one of my favorite sounding amps. I also have a Eden D410XLT (8 ohm) that was my main box for years. They were in proximity to each other, so I plugged them in. The 350 does 220 watts at 8 ohms. The XLT handles 700 watts. Anyway, it did not sound good. I believe the 350 was clipping (although the "preamp clip" light did not come on) because it sounded slightly distorted. I tried several basses, all producing the same result. I then hooked up my Stewart 2.1/Demeter rack and voila! - no more distortion. Just to be complete, I plugged the 350 into a Bag End S15-D (250 watts) and it sounded great. FWIW, I dig both the 350 and the XLT very much, but in my experience they're just not optimal together. YMMV...

10. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I have one of the four ohm eden cabs. That's another story altogether (I paid less than 400 canadian for it). Anyways, so I would get 350 watts out of the SWR. I have heard that the SWRs are not loud for 350 watts. Furthermore, I am concerned about picking in "hi-fi" SWR styles. I have been looking more at the SVP-CL. However, I am on a budget, and the BMAX and RBI are more in my price range. The SWR is, however, a good deal too (500$ canadian used). What do you all think? Should I bite the bullet and get the 850 watt power amp and the SVP-CL, go midway and get a cheaper preamp and the RMX poweramp, or save my bucks and get the SWR. I have tried the 350, but the jury is still out... I'm concerned it's too sterile.