1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR 350X: 2 Ohm minimum or 4 Ohm minimum load?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wave rider, Apr 24, 2009.

1. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
  2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Any wild speculation?

=wr=

3. Even when a amp has a 2 Ohm rating I am hesitant to run them at 2 Ohms.
    Just because a car can go full throttle and not break do you think it will last as long?
    Im sure that I am going to get blasted for that statment but I tried it once with a Carvin R-1000 @ 2ohms and it did go for about 45 minutes and started shutting down.
    I would feel more comfortable running my Mackies Down to 2 ohms for long periods but I dont,most SS amps that I use are the happiest at 4 Ohms even though they are all rated down to 2.
    Just my .02.
    Now I will take cover.:eek:

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I have a 350x and have run it at 2 ohms w/o a problem, other that the amp getting hot. But the amp runs hot at 4 ohms as well.

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi wave rider.

From the SRW 350X downloadable manual:

Note: All measurements were taken with a line voltage of 120VAC. All noise specifications are “unweighted.” All voltages and watts are “RMS.” All measurements are taken with tone controls set flat, Aural
    Enhancer at minimum.
    Power Ratings (minimum):
    450 Watts @ 2 ohms
    350 Watts @ 4 ohms
    240 Watts @ 8 ohms

6. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I had a non -x bass 350 and it did 2 ohms all day. Just make sure that fan is working.

7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have a Yamaha BBT500H that runs at 2.6ohms full time without getting warm.

8. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    I have a 350X I run 2 ohms all the time. There have been no issues. The fan comes on and it will be fine.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

+1

The fan is "defeatable" via a front panel switch. The "on" position is the same for the fan as it is for the amp's power.

10. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback folks. I guess it was the 4 Ohm silkscreen on the back that was throwing me off.

Anyone know about the 550X, 2 or 4 ohm?

As an aside, my Peavey Mark VI is happy at 2 ohms too...

=wr=

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Please read the quote in my sig.

Thank you.

12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I don't think the 550x is 2ohm capable.

13. I want to say that I remember something about SWR changing the minimum impedance specs on some of their amps without changing anything in the construction. I think it was a cover you @ss, bet safe than sorry kind of thing, BUT I am not 100% sure... it's just something I think I remember.

14. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    You may be on to something agreatheight.

From the 350x manual (©2004, thank you MIJ-VI :D):
    Sounds like maybe. I've got two 4 ohm cabinets that sound good together and I don't play that loud. But... perhaps I should take a TUMS™ and let the G.A.S. settle.

:meh: Still, tempting at $285...

=wr=