1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR 350x Good for reggae?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ScottyQBass86, Apr 18, 2009.

1. ScottyQBass86

ScottyQBass86

Mar 16, 2008
    Hey. I only have about two days to make the decision before the opportunity goes away. I have the chance to get one of the old mesa powerhouse 4x10s (getting this cab regardless). But it also comes with an SWR 350x. I need a head for medium sized gigs (large coffee houses, basement parties, few clubs (with PA systems though)). I play modern reggae/dub/rock stuff. I need a nice, round, bassy tone, but with a good attack. Not any of the older, flat-wound deep thud stuff. I need a good attack, not alot of treble, but plenty of definition. I'll dial in a bit more treble for live stuff, and cut it down a bit for recording.
    As far as tone goes, I think my favorite tone would be Bret Bollinger from Pepper. He has EXACTLY what I'm looking for, and I have a pretty similar set up (American fender jazz with seymour duncan 1/4 lbs). He uses an SWR 750x with a megoliath, so I figure a 350x with a mesa 4x10 and almost the exact same bass will get me pretty close?
    Let me know what you guys think. I don't have too much time before the deal goes away, and unless I really hear something otherwise I'm gonna take the deal.
    -Scott

2. IIRC the only differences on the X series is the power amps. So yes, it will get you pretty damn close to the sound you're looking for. Then again, he probably did D.I. on the recordings you're listening to... ;)

3. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    I think the amp will be fine for you, just keep the aural enhancement knob turned all the way down, It will suck the tone right out of your sound.

4. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    My fav bass tone ever heard in a club was a Red Bassic 350 through a Goliath II cab, fronted with an old P-Bass. Warm, thunderous, articulate. I'd say you can certainly get a nice modern dub tone out of it. Don't know Pepper though.

5. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Tone wise, I'm sure you will be quite happy. For gigs the size of what you listed, it will surely be enough. But it (350X) would have a little difficulty (volume wise) with a LOUD rock band.

6. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Good tone to strive for. I am buddies w/ Bret and his tone is great. He plays high up so that his fingers are on the fretboard. That will help w/ achieving that tone.

7. ScottyQBass86

ScottyQBass86

Mar 16, 2008
    damn man that's so cool that you know him. he's completely changed how i play. I just scour the internet and i think he's one of the most under appreciated bassists out there. the recordings are all really tight, and his lines groove and fit so well. live, they're so loose and fun, they're just a straight party band. if you can get some specifics about he sets up the amp (or steal some of his gear for me...) that would be incredible. i just sealed the deal on the cab and head, so if you can just tell me where to point those knobs, i'll be forever indebted.
    -scott

p.s. tell him i say hi!

8. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    He usually records w/ this one
    [​IMG]

9. ScottyQBass86

ScottyQBass86

Mar 16, 2008
    these are the tones im talking about

make sure you throw some headphones into the computer and listen that way, unless you have killer bass on your computer speakers (which i dont...)

and 76dub, does he use the marcus miller bass or the regular black jazz bass? cause i was checking the pepper site, and there were a bunch of pictures of them recording, and there is the one with the marcus just sitting there, and a bunch of bret playing the black one with some headphones on

10. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Just listened to the YouTube posts. Love his bass sound and would like to hear more of Pepper.

Which cd should I get? I noticed that they have about a half a dozen.

11. ScottyQBass86

ScottyQBass86

Mar 16, 2008
    yes! the three songs I put up are all from different albums. I'd say get "Kona Town" and "No Shame". There are also some pretty good songs on "In With The Old". If you wanted to get a 4th album, I'd say get "Pink Crustaceans and Good Vibrations". they also have an album out called "Give'n it" but i never really liked it that much...

12. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon

I second kona town (first cd of theirs i got) and in with the old.

saw pepper live and all i can say is "damn" :D
    when I saw em brett was using a black p bass, if that matters :)

13. ScottyQBass86

ScottyQBass86

Mar 16, 2008
    kona town was my first also. i heard "Stormtrooper" on Pandora Radio and i needed to get it. i'm going to see them on may 14th. so pumped.
    he was using a p-bass? whoa. ive never seen him use one. he usually uses a black j bass or one of the 75 reissue j basses. sometimes a marcus miller one

14. Hugh9191

Hugh9191

Feb 20, 2009
    I agree, it is a VERY nice bass sound. Good band. Thanks for introducing me to them!!

15. ScottyQBass86

ScottyQBass86

Mar 16, 2008
    it's SUCH a nice bass tone. it's deep, and reggaeish, but its defined and has a bit of punch to it without any clickyness or treble to it. so back to the original question: can i get this with a mesa 4x10 and swr 350x? i ordered them, and they're on their way now, so its not a question of should i get them, but how do i dial in that sound?
    american jazz bass, seymour duncan 1/4lbs, swr 350x, mesa 4x10.
    hit me up with those knob settings

16. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I don't know Pepper, but I'm using a Yamaha PB-1 into an SWR 8x8, and a power amp. The PB-1 has a parametric on it, and right now it's at 120 Hz or so;the Level knob on that is up just a bit, and the "Q" is just on the 'tight' side. All other controls are flat, bass is rolled off about 80%.

The tone is deep, bloomy, but punchy. No clacks. Very sweet and warm, feels modern. It sounds like that's in the neighborhood of what you are looking for...? I have found that flat is where it's at, then find one way to bring in the hump down low. Don't push it hard, just tweak until it comes in- you're done.

But maybe I'm just chiming away here out of place. I don't know the band- but I do play reggae.