Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 350x or Bass 350 players, share tips and experiences etc.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ToeJamFootball, Jun 13, 2005.

1. hey guys just wondering who here alos plays through an SWR 350x or a Bass 350,

share you settings and son on, things like what preamp tube works best??

ToeJam

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Tip: Buy something else or get an 810 to go with it if you need any kind of volume. If you don't mind it cutting out because it overheats whenever you turn it up past halfway on just about any knob, keep it. :spit:

I found that changing the tubes in my older red-faced 350 was a more effective than in my newer chrome one which didn't change the tone too much at all.

3. i really like it, i have not had one problem with it so far, i have had it for about 18 months now, i think i will get new cab, and a power amp.

ToeJam

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I bought one to replace a Studio 220, a few years back. Not at all as good as the 220. Hard to get that meaty, punchy, clear sound the SWR EQ delivers. Then the amp went bad. Fixed it under warantee ( another headache story) put it back in its box and I just started using it again. Doesn't seem like it has enough power. Not a bad amp, just not as good as the old stuff.

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I like mine a lot. I've mostly used it for church gigs and recording sessions, so I've had plenty of volume. With that said, if you plan on using with with a rock band of any kind, it IS a little short on headroom. If you really dig the tone tho, $ave up for the 750 and never look back.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I liek the original bassic 350. It is not the loudest 350 watt amp out there, but it gives the swr tone and has a midrange frequency control that covers the most useful frequencies to mess with.

The effects blend is great. especially if you want to use another preamp with it and combine the tone. Also, the efects send can be used to send to another powe4ramp which is cool if you like the tone but need more volume.

I'm not a big fan of the new X series. i think they stuffed too much "junk" into it.

7. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I had one about 10 years ago which I sold for the SM-900, I just bought an old one again and love it. It doesnt have the head room I would like but the amp does cut very well, bass 1 o'clock, mid 200 htz, mid level 2 to 3 oclock, treble flat. Power amp underneth may be my next move. Im not sure about the new ones, to bad they just cant make them like the oldies, It seems easy enough.

I found that changing the tubes in my older red-faced 350.

What type of tube do you use?

8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Any NOS American or Western European tube.
    telefunken, mullard, amprex, sylvania, ge, rca, raytheon...
    5751's do well in SWR 350's - INFO LINK

[​IMG]

9. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I've had my red face Bass 350 since late 1997. Used it with Goliath Jr. 3 and SOB 1x15. Still use it every week at practice with Gol. Jr.
    Only changed the tube once a few years ago with at GT 12ax7.
    It has never let me down. I mostly use the suggested rock settings. AE at 1 o'clock, bass at 2, mid at 2 boosting freq @ 200 and treble flat or at 1 o'clock if cabinet horn is off (which it's been lately).

10. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I've been playing the same Basic 350 and Golliath II Jr. for the last 12 years and it's tone can't be beat. I keep the EQ flat and the Aural Enhancer at about noon.

As far as the volume, if the band I'm playing in is loud enough to use a PA, the 350 is powering my speakers to be used as stage monitors. If we're not using a PA, the 350 has always been loud enough.

Recently I've added an ACME Low B1 cabinet that sounds great with the 350.

I also just finished comparing the 350's preamp to an Alembic F1X. While the F1X had a fatness the 350 didn't have, the 350 had a clarity and articulate sound with warmth that the F1X couldn't touch.

I did swap tubes once with what I had around the house and it did make a big difference. I ended up with a GT 12ax7. I am planning on doing some tube testing in the near future with a wider variety of tubes.

LeonD