SWR 4004 half stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has tried this out, I'm looking into it because I need a new amp, and I need lots of power.

2. azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    I have this exact rig, with the workingman's 4x10t. However, i dont really seem to like the sound very much. It is really hi-fi, but i can usually mess with the EQ to get something i like. Ive been plugging an ampeg 15" cab in as well, and i seem to like it more, but it just doesnt have the power. 400watts at 4ohms, just doesnt seem to cut it. I had my friend with a 30 watt guitar amp that was solid state, and a drummer that was not playing very loud at all. This amp just didnt seem to be that loud, and even the guitar amp was over powering it. Im thinking about getting something else, like a tubed amp or something. But thats just my $.02
  3. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you like SWR tone then go for the head, its usually pretty affordable (especially used).

I've found SWR WM 4x10 cabs to be pretty lacking, compared to other 4x10's. I remember seeing a kid warming up before a show with one and it lacked punch and low end presence. I am a huge fan of SWR WM 1x15's though.
  4. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I had the swr 4004 head and 2x10, 1x15 working man cabs for my old rehearsal set-up.

I got everything last x-mas when they were clearing out the working man stuff to make way for the working pro stuff. I snagged that whole rig for around $600 at GC. heee heeee.

I had been happy with my swr workingman 15 combo I had been using for rehearsal. I only wish that combo could be louder, it did sound good for the most part. i sold that combo, and went after the stack.

My swr "stack" was okay. the head sounded good, but the cabinets were useless unless used together. The Workingman 15" cabinet was aweful and bland. The 2x10 cabinet was a little twangy. I could make them sound okay together.

The working man 4x10 wasn't too bad vs. the 2x10. The regular SWR gear (especially the goliath III) sounds much better. I've played through the triad and LA series and didn't like those.

the 4004 head was okay a real workhorse, but the DI is pre-only (the've fixed this on the working pro series) the 4004 head is definately needed to run both cabinets. the 2002 head actually sounds much better, but lacks the volume needed.

it looks like they have made many improvements (head wise) with the working pro series, but the cabs are the same with a different grill.