Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 4004 Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by masaru, Sep 22, 2002.

1. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    MF has these on sale for $1100 with 2x10 & 1x15 cabs. This is less than half the cost of any Ampeg rigs I've been pricing, not to mention half the weight. I've never been a big fan of SWR but this particular rig seems pretty appealing. Being on an island in the middle of nowhere kinda precludes me from comparison shopping so I need to solicit any info I can get from my fellow TBers about this particular setup. Thanks!

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i used to own a workingmans combo ( the wm15 to be more precise ). i absolutely LOVED the tone i got out of it. i upgrade mainly for volume purposes and to this day wish i had that amp back. what
    SWR amps have you tried? the workingmans series has a bit different tone than the professional series. theres people that actually prefer the workingmans over the high end stuff. ive yet to try that setup. sounds like a good deal to me though.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That's the rig I use for shows (2004 and 2x10 for practice). It does pretty well. I plan on keeping that rig for practice and upgrading to the pro series mainly for more power. Every other band I've played with has wanted to use it for thier set, too, but I'm not big on others using my amps.
    What is it that you don't like about SWRs? Have you had experience with the WM line and the pro series? As Freak stated, there is a different sound in the two, at least IMO.

4. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I tried the WM 160 with a Hartke 1x15 cab and just couldn't seem to get enough low end. I did a show recently where I played through a 900 with a Goliath Sr. and it absolutely kicked. It was outdoors and I could hear my bass all over the stage and it wasn't even in the monitor mix. I don't need anything that large (or expensive) for the gigs I play so that's why the 4004 caught my attention. FYI, I've got a house gig right now and just run direct out of my Pod Pro. I'm looking for an amp just in case I ever need one again. Most of the other shows I do provide the rig but I'm having GAS pains...

5. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Although GK is what I'm into now the Workingman's series is great. It mighta been the Hartke cab you tried. I like the 4004 and the 8x10 Workingman's is cool too. I don't think you could go wrong.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've never had a problem getting enough lows out of it. I use the older model...I dont' know if the new ones' changes are purely aesthetic or not. I've been totally satisfied with mine. The only time I've gigged without it I was using a MUCH nicer rig (Aguilar 410, thanks Xush!), and even though the Aggie was INCREDIBLE, I kinda missed my SWRs. Especially when it was time to load in and out! And if you don't need the whole thing, the 1x15 does well enough on it's own.