1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR 410 + Big ben / What to choose to power this rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yamaha, May 6, 2006.

1. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I bought a workingpro 410 about a month ago, and I really like it. I play my 800RB with it. I was planning to keep it simply as a second cab configuration possibility (I already have a 1x15 jbl and a 2x10 hartke), but last week, I bought a used Big Ben 1x18 swr cab.

I'm now thinking of a second complete rig. I was seriously considering the swr workingpro700 to power this second kit, as I've heard good things about that head on this site, but most of my local music stores still sell workingman's series, and have not ordered workingpro heads yet. They'll order one for me if I leave a deposit, but none are on display.

I'm a little uneasy about ordering something i've never tried. Any toughts or other suggestions to power this rig.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I gigged a goliath II(4x10) with a Big Ben in loud rock bands for 12 years.

I started out with a SWR Basic 350. = (ok but underpowered).
    Then upgraded to a SWR Bass 750. = (better but not much).

Next I added a Sansamp RBI to the 750. = A great sound. But I could not EQ a great solo tone that would cut through a loud band. Even pluging the sansamp directly into the SWR power amp, seemed to produce a weak lower midrange signal with any of the RBI EQ settings.

My next amp upgrade was to a Mesa 400+. This amp transformed these cabs into pantleg flapping tone monsters that sounded good solo, cut through a loud band with ease and let me hear myself way better on stage.

I also had very good results using the Big Ben (sitting on its side) with tube guitar heads for recording and lower volume gigs.

My SWR cabs were rear ported, and did get boomy in some rooms. To help this problem, I used to carry a 5 inch thich, 3 x 5 ft sound pannel. I somtimes placed it behind the cabs and this seemed to help in some rooms.

For outdoor gigs, I think your Big ben is one of the all time greatest cabs, but it can be a handfull in boomy rooms.

One more thing, many poeple beleve that stacking your 15/18 on top of your 10" cabs works much better.

3. orion7590

orion7590

Apr 22, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Extremely Off topic- I read your sig and I want to ask what beer bottle? Budweiser? Heineken? Miller? This is useful information.

4. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I used a 5% alcool per volume, 341 mililiiter canadian budweiser to extensivly test this tuning method. The beer bottle angle and the air flow from your mouth must be precisely set-up. I still use a tuner sometimes though. But seriously, I think that tuning to a grand piano, when there is one around, is the best way.