Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 412

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What are your opinions about SWR 412s? Or their 212s? I've been possibly looking into getting one, but I want to know if they're even worth trying before I drive out to plug one in. Right now, I run a Mesa 400+

2. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    FINALLY! A question that I feel a little bit qualified to answer!

For a couple of years, my main cabinet was an SWR Workingman's 2x12 through a hybrid MM head. I eventually sold it and upgraded to the SWR Silverado Special, a 2x12 combo. The Workingman's 12's have a 2 1/2 inch voice coil. The pro series 12's have four inch voice coils. BIG difference. I was satisfied with the Workingman's sound until I plugged into this rig. The lows were lower, the mids were brighter and more pronounced, the highs were much smoother and brighter and not as shrill. Even now, I turn off the horn because it has plenty of highs. I love it! It is still my main amp, going on five years now.

Unfortunately, I have not heard the Twelve Pack or the Twelve Stack. But, if they have the same components are the Silverado Special, you will really like it.

Personally, I would stick with a 2x12 rather than a 4x12. 2x12's are pretty loud as is, but you can add another cabinet if needed, and you will have the option of adding a 15 or another 2x12, or even a 4x10. You will get much more flexibility out of the 2x12 that the 4x12.

3. My God, ezstep, i thought I was the only person on the planet that bought the WM 2x12. Oddly, i'm in the process of selling it for a smaller set up.

Mike

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The 12 Stack is only 8ohm though, so you can add another cab easily (Just might be overkill sound wise). IMO There is a BIG difference between a 2x12 and 4x12. Depends what sound you want.

I still want to hear some oppinions on the 12 stack, i was looking into one a while ago..

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd rather be able to turn it down than not be able to be heard...