1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR 550x Cab Qestion.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphieboy57, Aug 25, 2020.

1. ! just got a good deal on a SWR 550X Amp Head. I want to run 2 separate Cabs On it. I have a Carvin 2x10 Cab and a Ampeg B15 Cab. Is there any way I could use this setup? Ive been told that I can't. In the end I want to use all of the 550 watts.

Thank you

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is each cab 8ohms? If so, yes you can use them together. If one or both are 4ohms, no you can not. The 4ohm cab must be used alone.

Bassdirty likes this.
  3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    A good place to start is by reading the manual, especially page 6.
    http://support.swramps.com/manuals/pdfs/550x.PDF

1 x 8 ohms cabinet - okay
    1 x 4 ohms cabinet - okay
    2 x 8 ohms cabinets in parallel (typical) - okay
    2 x 4 ohms cabinets in parallel - NOT okay
    1 x 8 ohms cabinet + 1 x 4 ohms cabinet - NOT okay

If the Ampeg cabinet is from a Heritage B15, it should be 8 ohms and fine as a standalone.
    A Carvin 210MBE is 8 ohms and fine as a standalone. It can be used along with the B15.

Carvin RC210, RL210T and BR210 are 4 ohm cabinets and fine as a standalone. You cannot use these speakers together with the B15 as they will display a load of 2.67 ohms to the amp, and will cause damage.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  4. Thanks for the info. I think I got the ohm thing down. Both cabs are 4 ohm cabs so I will try each one of them separately and use the one that sounds the best to me. If I need to go 2-Cabs I will hurtle that one when the time is here.
    Thanks again.......Ralphie

5. With a 4 Ohm load (cab) your amp can produce more than enough to cook (blow) either of them cabs.

Do Not Use All The Watts.

agedhorse, abarson and BassmanPaul like this.
  6. Thank you for the warning. thinking about getting a 6x10 cab.

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    More speakers works.
    But just go all the way to SVT810E
    I bought 2 long long time ago
    have not needed a cab/cabs in a long time

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021