swr 550x tube question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DerekP, Aug 21, 2005.

1. DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    i'd like to change the preamp tube to something of higher quality as ive read stock tubes arent usually very good, im kind of new to the whole tube thing so can you guys recommend me a good upgraded tube? and is it an easy do it yourself job?
  2. I had the same amp and changed the stock tube for a JJ 12AX7, much better tone if you like a warmer sound. It's very easy to do it.
  3. mad.mick

Nov 21, 2004
    The green print triple mica JAN NOS Sylvania 5751 in my SWR 750x works great, very warm, clean and smooth with lots of mids.
  4. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I did this with my SWR (before I sold it). I think I used a Svetlana tube, though was torn between that and a JJ. A cheap thing to do - those tubes were $10 each. I wanted to go with the NOS tube mad.mick mentioned, but never got around to it. The one I got was at my local store and the Sylvania you have to special order. It made a big difference, especially in the highs, which went from shrill to sweet after the change. The overall tone was warmer too. Definitely the best $10 you could spend on one of those - hard to belive an amp that costs that much cannot use a better tube for a few bucks more. Still didn't get the overall tone I wanted and I traded for my Thunderfunk (oh, yeah baby!) :bassist:

It is easy, too - at least it was on my SM500. Just had to take off the top. The tube is easily seen on top of one of the boards. Just pull it out and pop the new one in. I believe it voids the warranty on the amp, if that means anything to you. Also was conscious of all the "warning - shock hazard" labels all over the thing (I didn't touch any internal component EXCEPT the tube, since I don't really know much about these things).

Hope this helps.