Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 550x vs. Eden WT-400 vs. Ampeg SVT-3PRO?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fourbin, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Fourbin

Fourbin

Feb 11, 2003
    So I'm in the market for a used amp and on my budget these are the amps I've narrowed it down to. My question is which would you go with? My first concern is obviously tone. I've played SWR stuff tons of times and totally love its crystal clear highs and bumpin' lows. Ampeg well.. we all know Ampeg, 'nuff said. Eden I've only played a Metro combo and loved it but have never once played with the WT heads. I am highly concerned about wattage as I'm running an 8ohm 4x10 right now and plan to add a 1x15. Basically here are the specs:

SWR 550x
    550 watts @ 4 ohms
    375 watts @ 8 ohms
    SWR Subwave octave generator

Eden WT-400
    400 watts @ 4 ohms
    235 watts @ 8 ohms

Ampeg SVT-3PRO
    450 watts @ 4 ohms
    275 watts @ 8 ohms

Right now because of the fact that it is the highest wattage at 8ohms I'm leaning towards the SWR. The reason I'm asking you guys is because I don't have tons of personal experience gigging with any of these amps. Any comments, suggestions, stories of past experience etc. is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Fourbin

Fourbin

Feb 11, 2003
    Come on, there must be someone on here that has played/used these amps?

3. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    and get your last amp first. I am not a fan of the SWR sound. I am an old school player and just couldn't get any SWR stuff to sound thick enough. There are no doubt guys who will say I'm full of it, but there it is. I have never owned any, just have played it in a store when I was shopping for gear. I seriously considered the SVT-3PRO and 4PRO, but I agree with lots of guys here that the 3-PRO is underpowered. I had to crank it to 9 o'clock to get a fairly big sound out of a variety of Ampeg cabs. Not much room left on the old master volume control! The Eden 550 head is way ahead of the 400 in terms of tone and features, IMO. You can find used 400's for about $550-600. A new 550 will set you back about 9 bills. $350 difference is pretty short change over the life of the unit. I am totally diggin' my new 550 head and 210XLT.

4. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    3pro = bucket of sh**

swr = brittle

eden = superior

$.02

5. Try a WT 550 before you buy any of the amps you listed. Tone is subjective, of course, but there is an awful lot of power and clean warm sound in an eighteen pound box. I've been using mine hard for six months with absolutely no issues, other than if you turn the gain to 3 o'clock, and the master vol to 12 o'clock in a 20x30 rehearsl room, it will make you want to leave the room. It does not lack for power for such a small amp. I love mine YMMV.

John

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
  7. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    x2

the 550 is a great head, at a great weight. The Eq is super slick too. You can sculpt the tone into just about anything you want with nothing more than a few 'clicks'.

If slap is your main bag though, you'll probably prefer the swr. But for pocket, the 550 is hard to beat imo

just do yourself a favour and dont even consider the ampeg. Severely overated head, which can be next to useless in a room with poor acoustics.

8. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I've had them all.Buy a Thunderfunk, it will do it all and better,and it is small and light.Don't go by just me, go to the Thunderfunk threads on this site and ask the other guys that have them.I'll bet that between all of us ,we have had all of the amps you mention (and then some).Ask them.It is a real bargain next to all the others.IMHO.

9. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Used a SWR SM400S for years (i still own it), a great head but...I switched to a Eden WT550 about 3 months ago, and it really kills.

Consider the WT550, is loudest than you can imagine, and you carry it within shoulder bag

10. :eek:
    And Im just using a lowly old Ampeg B2R with a couple of GK410 cabs! I was looking at the SVT3 as an upgrade, but I didnt realize that its only 100 watts more and if headroom is an issue? Guess Ill keep researching. Strange, Ive played bass for 20 years now and Ive learned more in a week here at TB than I have in my whole career about amps and the more technical side of everything.