Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 6x10 and 1x18...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Sep 26, 2005.

1. I wanna put these two cabs together with a decent +-1000watt amp

can anyone comment on these cabs individually or together?

Goliath Senior and Big Ben

I was looking at an Ampeg SVT4-PRO, but it can't run both cabs in bridged mono, as the 6x10 is 4 ohms and the 1x18 is 8 ohms...

any suggestions on an amp to go well with these cabs?

Also, does anyone know if the 6x10 will sit comfortably on top of the 1x18?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Are the -1000 Watt heads already available?
    Me want, me want! :hyper:

:D

How's about an amp with stereo outputs? Or a preamp with a two-channel power amp?

BTW, why not a 410 and a 118? Less weight, less hassle.

3. cause he can ..... do you really need a better reason :p

its why dogs lick themselves, because they can

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well yeah, but I thought I'd just give a bit of warning about hernia (been there...), price differences, 4/8 ohm, etc, etc. But sure, you can play that Ampeg 36*10, if you can :p

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I personally wouldn't want to pair and 8ohm and a 4ohm cab together.

But it may work out ok since 18's throw so much farther...

You may already know this, but you aren't going to find any amp that will run both of those amps in a bridged mono mode.

Also, setting the 6x10 on the 18 may get dangerous if you plan on setting your amp on top of all of it. :D

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The big ben has big boom! Tons of room filling non-directional bass. The 6x10 has plenty of bottom as well.

You will be loud, you will be deep, every sound man you work with will ask you to turn down.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's actually a myth. It assumes that the speaker's low frequency radiation angle is determined by driver size, and that's not the case. The low frequency radiation angle of a speaker is determined by the cabinet's frontal size. Two 30x30 inch cabs will have the same low frequency radiation pattern irrespective of the size of the drivers inside. At high frequencies the eighteen will have a narrower dispersion angle than the tens, but that won't change the throw either. SPL falls at a rate of 6dB per doubling of distance from a point source irrespective of the driver size.

I agree that this is an overkill scenario. Two high quality tens are capable of providing the mids and highs to keep up with the low frequency output of any eighteen. Four would be more than enough. Six is a waste of money and cartage.

8. sounds good, the volume is what I need... I know I wont find an amp that will bridge into 2.6 ohms.

and why a 6x10? - it has wheels and is big enough to use by itself without the 18 in smaller venues.

I was saying plus/minus 1000watts - not that SWR has a 1000watt amp out...

the reason I ask about putting the 6x10 on top of the 18 is that the 6x10 is angled at the bottom where the wheels are... will it be stable there by itself (assuming it doesn't get knocked over by someone)?

9. Thanx Bill

What I'm really looking for here is volume - I need at least the equivalent of an 8x10 to be able to hear myself on stage... we have a very loud drummer and guitarist - and we like it that way, so overkill is not neccesarily a bad thing here...

although your advice would be greatly appreciated as to what would be the best speaker solution for me...? I like the sound of a classic 4x10 and 1x15 setup but thought I could get a little extra volume out of the 6x10 and 1x18 setup?

my thinking was that the 18 would be more of an add on for those occasional large gigs, while the 6x10 would be my main gig cab - small enough to fit in my car, and easy enough to move with the wheels. an 8x10 would be just too big....

10. i have shared rehearsalspaces with bassplayers using the swr6x10 and another guy using the 4x10+1x18(both swr).
    what i can say is that the 6x10 has PLENTY of volume and is both tight and deep sounding. worked great for both reggie and punk!
    the other setup was more cleaner sounding, but i wouldn´t consider it being "superdeepbass" sounding.
    i remember the 1x18 sounding punchier and somehow clearer than the ampeg 410 i had at that time.

both setups are loud and both sounds very nice.
    if you´re after volume?
    i´d go with the 6x10(IMO).

then again, the bassplayer from lightning bolt uses 2x410´s and 2x118´s and that is really a killer rig...

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I wrote a minus 1000 watter ;)

A good 410 is plenty enough in itself. If not, then you band is going to be deaf soon enough. You'll be told to turn down onstage either way.

12. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I had a Senior (6x10). Nice cab, just way too big to haul around. I don't think I would trust it sitting on top of the 1x18. It's cut away at the bottom to accomodate the wheels and make it easier to tilt back when loading.

13. So, the tone I'm getting from you guys here is that the 4x10 and 1x18 are a good combo, and the 6x10 is a better stand alone cab?

how would the volumes compare between these two options then?

14. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Maybe you could get a 4ohm 1x15 instead of the 1x18 and run it with an amp that can work at 2ohms, a very small range of amps can do this, but if you're willing to get the SVT4Pro, you probably have the green to get an amp that can handle it.

15. I would think that the 1x18 and 4x10 would be louder than just the 6x10, since an 18 has more surface area than 3 10's. It would be near the equivalent having a 4x10 on top of a 3x10. I run a 4x10 and 2x12 with a Peavey Firebass 700 and its very loud, approaching 810E loud, but not quite there. The 1x18 and 4x10 would be killer.

16. can anyone tell me if the SWR 6x10 would fit across the back seat of a VW lying on its side?

17. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    fortunately, SWR went through the time consuming and painful process of making a website with their products' specs
    SWR Goliath Sr. :smug: smartassery aside, if you can get it in the car, it should fit- i had figured out that i could get a henry the 8x8 (same size cab) in my 87 Nissan Sentra 2 door - sure i'd have to remove the passenger seat, but...

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Rather than Big Ben, I'd go Big Bertha 2x15. It would look more even with the 6x10 and SWR 15's are excellent.

19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Bertha and a Goliath Sr, side by side on the floor. Oh my :bassist:

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, as luck would have it, a friend of mine uses a Goliath Sr and a Big Ben together. He uses an Ampeg SVT-4PRO to power them. It's a beastly rig, but I've never heard it full blast; on of the guitarists only has a 2x12 combo, so they sort of have to mix to him. However, it's a damn nice sound, I can tell you that much. He usually puts the Big Ben on it's side, then the Goliath sideways on that, and then the rack on the Goliath.

He's been running the rig since at least 2001, possibly 2000, so I don't think he has problem with the Ampeg handling the 2.56 ohm load (...or is it 2.65?). He's played some small shows, and some pretty big ones, 4000+, and has never had a problem being too over powering, or destroying the mix or anything.

He uses some sort of Ibanez BTB 4 string, not sure of the make; it's a red quilted top one. 404QM?