SWR 6x10 vs. Mesa 6x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Sep 30, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    My choice is either a new SWR Goliath Sr. 6x10 cab or a used 1995-97 (not sure the exact year but one of those three) Mesa road ready 6x10. Both 4ohm.

How do these two stack up head to head (no pun intended) in a rock situation? Pros? Cons?

2. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    hey - while i have not tried either of those, i should tell you that i just bought a new ampeg 6x10 HLF and it sounds tremendous. paid $800 new, and i can fit it in the back seat of my honda. i looked at the mesa and i don't think i could have fit that.

3. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Road-ready Mesa gear is terriffic! Mesa gets my vote on this one. It's gonna be butt-heavy though!:eek:
  4. I've tried both of those cabs out and the SWR had a better punch to it. It filled the room better. It's also smaller! I kinda miss my SWR 6x10. I always wanted to run it with a 2x15. That would be sweet!!!
  5. I don't know if it is out of your reach, but I got a Ampeg 8x10 for $840 new, and like it a lot. Between those two I would go with the new SWR, just because it is smaller, lighter, and new.

6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i can manage to lift my SWR 6x10 all by myself. and i only weigh about 30lbs more than it does. it weighs less than lots of 4x10's.

i have played some LOUD gigs (outdoor festivals with 10k people) and never gotten close to maxing out my rig.

plenty of bottom for my low B, plenty of clarity for the high C...

plus it fits in the back of my 240SX. (barely, but it fits) and i can get it there by myself.

my sr. is the last big cab i'll ever have to buy.
  7. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Well I got the guy to hold the Mesa for me for $350.00 cheaper than the SWR would cost me new at Guitar Center. The Mesa has a road case also and that's a big plus for me.

I'm thinking it's going to be the Mesa but the seller told me it's an 8ohm cab, Mesa said for that year it should be 4ohm. Do any of you know for sure or did they make both? Its the older model with the large black grate grill on the front.

Thanks for all the input.
  8. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    It's 4 ohms. You can't get an 8 ohm cabinet using 6 speakers without varying the impedance of the speakers. 6 speakers (2 sets of 3 parallel'd, then series'd) gives 5.3ish ohms, which is handled as 4 ohms.
  9. $300 cheaper for a new Mesa? That sounds like a deal too good to pass up... I might go with the Mesa for that price too. Luckily, I got my Goliath Sr used for about $650 (dead mint cond.). I like it a little better and still saved a little extra money. :)
  10. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Forget the Mesa and go with the SWR. I used one recently at an outdoor gig and it was awesome! Of course, an Ampeg 410HLF would be, well, you know.....
  11. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    No, the Mesa is used. It's in the range of a 1995-1997 road ready model.

Thanks for explaining the Ohm question patrickj.

masaru, I have heard a Goliath Sr. a few times also and been impressed but why did you say forget the Mesa? Have you heard a Mesa 6x10 and not liked it?

Thanks again everyone.
  12. ahhhhh... the Mesa's used.

Note to self: read posts before replying! :)

If you're looking at a used Mesa vs a new SWR, of course it would be cheaper... I'm sure that you can find a nearly mint Goliath Sr for an equal (or lesser?) price if you look around. With the playing field even and price not being a factor, it really comes down to which you like best... either way, I'm sure that you will be able to get a sound you like out of which ever cab you chose.
  13. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Don't be fooled the cab CAN be 8ohms. There's one at my guitar center as well. They made 2, 4, and 8ohm versions of the 6x10 I don't know why. There's a 6x10 Diesel Mesa cab that is 8ohms at our guitar center I looked on the back plate myself and i have a catalogue that lists it at 2ohms. So I think they just made all of them. If you're playing a tube amp then it doesn't matter because it will put out the wattage regardless. Maybe they did this to encourage use with the 400+ or Buster?
  14. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks. I think it's going to be a 4ohm SWR Goliath Sr now. Someone bought the Mesa out from under me. It's cool though because from what I have heard the SWR is most people's choice.