Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 750 vs 900...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dallyd31, Jul 11, 2005.

1. In the older models of SWR, about 4 or 5 years old ( not the X model) is there really a huge difference between the 750 and 900 models ( besides more power). Any comments or opinions on either head ???

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    900 is my choice for flexibility both in terms of eq and cabinet options. hands down.

however, if you are more of a plug and play "dont confuse me with the eq" sort, and you have one cabinet or two cabs with identical impedances and similar volume then the 750 is a cool head.

3. As owning a 750 and two Goliaths I can say that IvanMike is dead on. It's as loud as you ever need it and it's plug'n play. Eq is effective but will alter the sound of the head, so you have to like the basic sound (I only boost the bass a bit, that's all). If you need to use different cabs and really want to tailor your sound with eq I think the 900 is the way to go like IvanMike said, but I haven't tried it. I should think the basic sound is the same if all controls are left flat.

4. if you're looking for one to buy, there is a 900 for sale in the classified forums. i just saw it this morning.
    (i am in no way affiliated with the seller)

5. why is the 900 better if I am using different cabs ??? I have a 4x10 and a 1x12 but both are 8 ohm( that I use together at 4 ohms)

6. The 750 will actually put out more power than the 900 (750 watts versus around 600) with a typical 4ohm load. To get full power out of the 900, you would need two 4 ohm cabs in stereo or bridged to 2ohms.... the 900 runs very hot at 4ohms... I would assume it runs stupid hot at 2ohms. I would suggest the 750 all the way.

(See next post... I was incorrect on the wattage... sorry)

7. Oops... I'm incorrect.... I forgot that the 900 sees a 2ohm load with a 4ohm cab load since it's bridged... the 900 does put out the full 900 watts into 4ohms... however, it will run very hot. Both good heads... I'd still stick with the 750 for simplicity and the fact that it's mono and can run a little cooler at 4ohms.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I owned a 750 for a year or so (the one with the chrome front) and found it to be a reliable amp with overall good tone. I never could quite get the "clackiness" out of it, however. At least, not to my satisfaction and I unloaded it. Good clarity, tho, and easy to dial up a good workable sound. For the kind of sound I want, the EA amps ended up being better for me. The only 900 I ever used was a loaner for a brief period and it worked fine and seemed to sound about the same as the 750. If you like the SWR sound, I would think either would work well for you.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Go to the SWR site and you will the 750 is more effective at putting the watts to the speaks so to speak. SWR has cautioned for years that bridging it's stereo amps to 2 ohms is the least efficient and generates huge heat. Two 8ohm cabs with the 900 and you're at the power rating of the 750. Great amp the pre of the Redhead with a no nonsense power amp. Remember SWRs run hot the chassis is a heat sink to wick heat away from the good stuff, it's not a sign of malfunction. (Unless you run it at 2 ohms). Many will write and say they do it all the time. I love EA and it meets my needs for other types of gigs but the 750 gives me the big boom that a big power supply can give. I use it with one or two GIIIs. In fact I snapped up two new 750s cheap when everyone showed interest in the Xs. Yes I use them eq.d flat or a little treble rolled off.

10. is $425 a decent price for a 4-5 year old 750 in good condition ???

11. I don't know about price (it's always ridiculous cheap in the US compared to here in europe), but just wanted to say that my 750 has run faultlessly for 5 years. It runs hot, but that the way it's designed, like chadds said (check the faq on their site). Remember that changing the tube is a cheap way to get a bit smoother sound, if you find it harsh.

12. I have a 750x and am about to get rid of it...not that it's a bad amp or has failed me, but I'm going Mesa/Boogie. Yes it does run very hot. They use aluminum for the chassis instead of steel for more effective heat transfer. There's a good size fan in the back and when I start the amp up it sounds like a jet engine...kind of a steady whum all the way to a whine...kind of neat sounding...ANYway, the fan is quiet. This amp has gobs of headroom. I've pushed it pretty hard and no clipping. I have it running at 4 ohms with my Son of Bertha and Goliath III. It's a very simple amp. If it wasn't for the pull turbo on the bass, you wouldn't know there was a tube in there.

On the subject of price: I'm selling mine 9 months old to Rockin Robin's in Houston for $700. I imagine $425 for a 5 year old one in good condition is a reasonable price. Keep in mind these things are bulletproof, hard working amps.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Quick hide before we are noticed by the "we don't like SWR crowd". There, we can hide behind those PA stacks. :) No one will notice us behind those. Whew! Safe.

Just making fun:)