swr 750?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stinkyrypoo, Jul 4, 2002.

1. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    Im in need of a nice head for my 4/10 goliath and 1/18 big ben, would a bass 750 be enough power or should i go to a 900? Should i maybe run a power amp instead? If anybody knows anything or has played any of these, please let me know what would be good for my situation. Thanks,
  2. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    ive played through a 750 one time on a the 6x10 cab...sound was very nice. hope that helps
  3. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    thanks for your help, i appreciate it
  4. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    i've got a 750 and it's great. it would power those two cabs nicely. the 900 has more preamp options and a stereo power section. whether it's worth paying the extra $ for it is up to you...it didn't seem worth it to me at the time.
  5. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I just got a 750 and I love the thing. It would power those to cabs nicely. I really dont see the amount of money for the 900 worth it, I dont need that much flex in my preamp. I would just get a power amp if you want/need more power (this, I may actually do myself).
  6. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    SWR 750. I owned one and it is a very good amp and easy to use.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I also own this amp and recommend it. It would be a particularly good match for those cabs. It has the signature SWR clean sound. The 900 gives you more EQ options.
  8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I believe the SWR 750 has the same preamp as the Bass 350. I own a Bass 350 and it is a great sounding amp and offers a lot of power for a small and light weight amp.

The SM 900 is a great amp but the downside is that it is quite expensive and very heavy. I really like the tone of these SWR amps. The power sections seem much less colored that many other brands and the power specs seem honest or conservative. My 350 is one very loud amp.

9. Compared to the 750, the 900 weights less and only takes of 2 rack spaces instead of three.

The SM 900 not heavy at all.
    It's one of the lightest amps for it's power rating.
  10. I have a 750 and two goliath III's. Couldn't imagine I'd need it louder than that at any point! Very nice sounding too!
  11. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I just went to SWR's website and checked the weight of the SM 900 and the 750. They weigh 26 lbs and 31 lbs respectively.

The last time I checked out an SM 900 I remember thinking that it was heavy but 26 lbs is not too bad , is it?

I guess I'm spoiled because my main rig which has a Demeter preamp and a Stewart power amp. 1600 watts and weighs about the same as the SM-900.

12. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    is the 750 enough? enough? all i have to say is...where are you playing?
  13. Chuck M

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    A 100 watt amp is loud enough for most gigs that I play. The extra power is not so much for loudness as it is for headroom.

My first high powered amp was a Demeter preamp and a Stewart PA-1000 power amp. When I went to that 1000 watt rig, the difference was very significant. My bass seemed to have room to "breath". Every subtle dynamic was easy to hear. It seemed to bring new life to the bass.

Another benefit of headroom is the way the B string sounds on extended range basses. That power makes the low notes speak with authority.

Try a high powered amp and you'll never go back.