swr 750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Sep 14, 2002.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    how does this amp measure up for rock. i'm trying to decide between a used swr 750, or getting a new ampeg svp pro w/ a dcm1000. the swr will save me a whole lot of money, but will it sound to hi-fi for what i'm doing?
  2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The SWR 750 has a preamp similar to the Bass 350 which I own. It is a very clean sounding amp and is better suited to jazz and funk.

I suggest you check out the Sunn 1200S heads that Musician's Friend has on a closeout for ~ $900. I just picked up one of these heads in a pawn shop and am blown away by the great tone and the power that it has. Fender has introduced the same head as the Bassman 1200 and raised the price!

Either the Ampeg or the Sunn would be better suited for rock than the SWR IMO.

3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You can dial up a pretty good rock tone but it'll never have the grind of an all-tube amp like an old SVT, of course. However, I own the 750 and I think it's a very good amp with quite a bit of versatility. Loud, straight-forward rotary tone controls and reliable. I believe a number of established rock players have used or are using this amp. Check the SWR site.
  4. I owned the Bass 750 and it was a nice amp, but underpowered for my (very unusual) needs. I went to separates (preamp + power) so I can increase power without replacing the preamp. Or, I can use a 2nd preamp and my existing power amp for a complete change in tone.

My 750 was replaced by an Alembic F-1X preamp and QSC power amp. The F-1X was thick and buttery sounding, but didn't offer the amount of tone control I wanted. It was replaced by an SWR Interstellar Overdrive, which put me back into the HiFi camp again. I can engage the Drive on demand and get dirty if need be, but I never do. The IOD is a keeper for me.

My preference is separates instead of heads. More flexibility, and more expensive too. Shop carefully in the used market, and you can do very well. If you don't like a part, resell it, and recoup your investment. You always get hurt buying new, then selling it used.
  5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well, in your case i understand needing seperates. but, then again, not everyone is driving your subs!;)
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I agree. That's essentially why I ended up with a Stewart World 2.1 and Demeter 201S.
  7. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I got a Bass750 and played it for about 2 days, then returned it as I didn't like the limited sound from it (and the noisy fan). I then Got a SWR SM500 and it has a much better EQ section and is overall a lot more quiet and lighter. I love it. It has a lot more variation in tone than the Bass750 has. But it does has 250W less power. I paired it with two Aguilar GS112s and it is still very loud and gives me very nice tone. I love this combination.

8. I'm trying to get away from that, since I no longer own any 5-string basses. The JBL E155 I'm building right now will be very loud, but have little bottom end.

FWIW, I did score another PLX 3002, so I can have 6,000 watts in my rack now...