swr 750watt tube?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tdogg, Dec 10, 2001.

1. tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    does any body out there have and/or
    use the swr 750watt rackmount all tube
    power amp? i saw it in a swr catalogue
    and almost started drooling! i just wanted to
    know what peoples opinions are on this beast.
    how does it handle low end? what is the tone
    clarity like? is it's power rating a little overboard
    or is it really as beasty as i think?
    also, how much does the power amp contribute to getting that tube sound. right now i have all SS and was condidering the alternative. would i be better off just getting a tube pre?
    i would love to hear all of your opinions. thanx and peace my brutha's
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

the power 750 is SS my friend. sorry :(

i wish swr would come out with an all tube head though, like a grand prix, IOD, and 400 watt tube power section all in one 4 rack space, 80lb unit. i'd buy it!

3. tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    SS huh? dangit.... why doesnt anybody
    make a big tube amp? am i missing something?
    is it just the weight issue?
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    someONE does.

700 all tube watts.

why don't more people?

1) 700 all tube watts would be enough to kill small kids. the 300 watts of a sunn 300t is still enough to rupture organs....

2) price. (like the $13k that london power costs)

5. Get an Aguilar Pre and the Power Amp, the Power amp is all tube, nice, warm and sweeeeeet!!!!!!!
  6. Davemell0

Nov 19, 2001
    SW Virginia
    A four hundred watt tube amp will be pretty damn loud, it will compete with a far larger solid state amp as far as volume goes, but in my experience it won't put out quite as much "chest thumping" bass. There are a couple options in the high wattage tube bass amp department. The mesa boogie 400+, several options from ampeg, the sunn 300T, and aguilar offers a 400 watt power amp, most of these are both quite expensive and quite heavy, but if you want tube tone, I guess you just have to make sacrifices.

I posted before I saw the post on the spectrum, thats one impressive amp, I like the modern tubes, it would be interesting to see how it sounds.
  7. tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    thanx guys, ya 700 tube watts could
    definitely do some damage.
    hey how about this; 300-400 tube watts
    pushing some tens and a big SS amp
    put through a couple of 18's or 15's....all
    full range and with the same pre. how do you
    think that would blend? dont worry about wieght
    or size, since im about 6'4" and 235 lbs, i can
    move big amps without too much hassle. not
    too brag too much, but i can also wrap my hand around a warwick 6 string at the nut!! ya buddy
  8. I tried this and it sounded great!

1) Eden WT800 or WT1000 +preamp into a 1-18 theil cab and a D210xlt in biamp mode.

2) Ampeg V-4 or Fender Bassman 135 (all tube) into an Eden D-410 XLT running a wide range of mids only.

Run the Eden tuner out, (line level), into the input of the tube setup and use the tone controls to tweak out the lows and highs.

You get one BIG tube amp sound with the punch AND fundamentals from the SS powered 18. (Best of both worlds)

AND you have a multiple or modular if you will, setup that you can break down and use separately for different applications like recording, practice, small clubs, or real big ass rooms.