SWR 750X >< Ampeg VB4H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by old_skool, Jun 19, 2005.

1. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    How do these amps compair to one another...if at all?

My SWR has 750 watts of SS power. Im not really sure what roll the tubes for the OD channel play in power, I would think none at all unless the OD is on. The power the SWR has is important.

The Ampeg, to my understanding, has 100 watts of tube power. Is this correct?

How will the two compare in volume? I turn my gain levels up rather high, to at least 1 o'clock on the SWR. I plan to crank the gain on the Ampeg as well.

Will the Ampeg get that classic warm overdriven tube sound?

I like my SWR and plan to keep it but I want something different. I want a classic tone, an older vibe. A local bands bass player here has a Traynor tube head and Im a fan of his tone, rather nasty at times. Im not sure what head he has however.

I ask about this particular Ampeg because a local store has one, brand new, for a little under six hundred bux. Im not looking to spend too much. Used is no problem, the gear can be cosmetically beat to hell as long as the guts are fine.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for good head/cabs (Im not really concerned with different cabs right now.)?

My current setup and the possible new one, as you can see, are kind of polar opposites. I understand that, its kind of the idea. :smug:

Thanks for the help in advance, guys and sorry about the lengthy thread but I know you guys know your stuff and will be able to help.
  2. SWR Pro series and Ampeg are both good. Some say the SWR is a bit dry or flat sounding. I use an Equalizer with mine so it is not an issue. My suggestion is that you play both amps. Keep in mind that unless you use the same cab for comparisons you will not get a true comparison.
  3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    What he said ...'cept I use a developed sense of touch coupled with some personality in my playing, so "dry or flat sounding" is not an issue with me either. :ninja:
  4. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks guys, anyone else?
  5. I have the old V4 and it has a fantastic warm sound. I've heard the V4BH and it sounds good also, though perhaps not quite the same as my V4 (at least to my biased ears).

The new V4BH is probably comparable in volume to my old V4. For my needs (classic rock/country) it's OK (volume-wise), but just barely.

If you're used to the sheer power of an SWR 750, the V4BH will disappoint you, I'm afraid. IMHO 100 watts won't hold up to 750 watts...even if it is tube versus SS....
  6. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What is the difference between the V4 and the VB4H?
  7. The V4 was a general purpose amp built in the early 70's. It had reverb, so was suited for guitar use, but it had a versatile midrange selector that lent itself very well to the bass as well (just turn the reverb down). The V4 had a brother, the V4B, that didn't have the reverb and had an additional mid-cut switch (called a low boost?) so it was marketed for the bass. Otherwise the two were the same exact amp--at least then in the early 70's.

In the 90's the V4B was resurrected as the V4BH. However, the circuits and other parts were not the same as the earlier models. Close, but not identical.
  8. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    I am off the road for 3 days, then back to it until August 6 at this point. My rig? SLM V4BH w/ a SVT-48HE (4x8; discontinued) Classic cab.

All-tube sound is beyond compare, and this set up, with my '69 P-Bass is phat, old-school, and balls to the wall.

Sunday, I had 400 people DANCING to every note I thumped outdoors, overlooking a mesa in Arizona, but I digress....... :D

I've never understood volume concerns. Besides 100 tube watts being plenty tough (eg, outdoors I was playing it with no sound re-inforcment. Gain AND Master at 1/2, and the bass was felt. In the gut. Boom. R&B/old Funk. Not shred metal, but it was no P*ssy level either. Trust me.You shoulda been there!)

Now then, we move to a rather large club, and FOH takes the excellent DI and there you have it. A monitor, maybe a bit of House reverb- Please! BOOM!
    SWR 750 -sweet!
    But my V4BH==== don't be dissing SLM Ampeg, or whoever owns them now. 4 6LGC's are a thang of beauty~~~
    I have not played through the older V4's but they are highly regarded.
    Anyway, do what you gotta do. I am VERY happy with the V4BH. I would be happy with the SWR too.

I'm just.......a happy mutha! :cool:
  9. I play a V4BH and the sound is just terrific - the all tube sound is pure Ampeg and it cuts through the mix like a knife. Beautiful sound if you like the old school Ampeg vibe. However 100 watts of tube power, as loud as it is (quite loud for 100 watts!), might be a bit low for your standards. I upgraded to 100 watts and it's more than loud enough (although I do enjoy pushing the tubes past saturation, at least a bit). But your 750 watts are much more... if you find yourself cranking it to hear yourself the V4BH may disappoint. However, again, it does cut through the mix like no other.
  10. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    ,,,and if you MUST have more volume and headroom than a wonderful V4/BH can give you,& are in love with the Ampeg tone, life is good-
    For you see, you simply use the SVT-CL or the AV model. Or perhaps the PRO II.

There ya go, all-tubes and if it isn't loud enuff...

Huh??? Wha????

I give up.....wire 100 SWR 750's together or sumthin'---- :hyper: