SWR 750x info

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftybassdog, Oct 19, 2002.

1. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

anyone have a SWR 750x ? fill me in , how do you like it ?
  2. mooseman

Jul 24, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    Count me in too,

I'd love to hear someone with experience with this amp or even the original 750 chime in.

I played it in a store and dug it. :) From what I could tell it has more of a "rock" vibe than my sm-400, and the effects seemed very useable.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've owned and used the Bass 750 for several years now. It's a straight-forward, loud amp that offers something so many bass amps don't: clarity. I like it.

No experience with the new X model.
  4. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The SM-400 was all I ever wanted. Then I needed more power. Salesman says why pay 1200 to 1500 for an SM-900. You're paying a lot for the watts. Shows me the 750. I'm sold. On an Ag GS1x12 with an EUB incredible. On a Goliath III drummers look out. With two Goliath IIIs you heard it at your house. All seriousness aside great SWR tone. Run eq flat most of the time. Big power. Big head room. Much louder and clear then an Sm-400 bridged at 8 ohms. Does everything easily. I use it for every style it's not just a rock amp. Sound men say, "that head and cab aren't suppose to get that low, how? " Simple and well built. I avoided the x because of the effects. Se thread re: Mo bass. If you can find a 750 the ones with serial # above 504 have fans and a defeat switch for quiet situations. Extra cool also, extra cool.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The 750 (and x) is spec'd from 20Hz to 40kHz.

That's how they go that low.

Also, regarding power comparisons with the 900, the 750 puts out 850 watts into a 2.6 ohm load as opposed to the 900 into a 4 ohm load for the 900.
  6. I don't think theres any difference except for the fx, between the 750 and he 750x. I've got a 750 and since I'm looking for a good distortion, I'm thinking of upgrading to the 750x, but would never do it if the clean sound isn't the same. I just love that clean sound. No tweeking nescessay, except if the room requires it.
  7. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I have a 750 now and like it but I like the overdrive sound, now Im looking at the 750x and thinking about getting one, has anyone played with one yet? bass central have one ?
  8. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I tried one out at the local and wasn't paticularly impressed. Problem was was that after reading reviews on the old 750 I wanted to be impressed. I think I might just go with the EBS TD650 if I can find one to try.
  9. LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I have some info on the 750x...
    It sucks.... :)

I tried one out at Sam Ass. Ken Smith 5 string, connected to a Goliath III. I cranked it up pretty good, but was underwelmed with the volume. It was muddy, the effects weren't too good, save your money.

gmann: www.r2musical.com has a referb Fafner for $1000. I think he has a few TD650s as well.
  10. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Boogiebass the 900 puts out only 240 watts aside @ 8 ohms so that's not enough to power two goliath III's. I didn't need two sets of Eq. since on SWR's I run the Eq flat. At 450 watts @ 8 ohms I'm good to go. I also paid $860 each for a new 750 out the door. Try Guitar Center wherever you are. GC in Rockville Md. has two. There are some in California GC. I got mine from Dave Larue's/Beaver Felton's shop.
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Why would you run it that way? The 900 can be mono-bridged into two 8 ohm Goliath III's with the result being 450 watts into each cab with a total 4 ohm load. To do so, just use the speakon mono/bridge output into the first cab and daisy chain into the second one. Admittedly, you won't have a huge amount of headroom but, in most rooms, you'd have enough power.

BTW, I only quoted the total output at 4 ohms to compare it to the 750. I'm not recommending the 900, just pointing out that it doesn't offer significantly more power than the 750. As I stated earlier, I own the 750.
  12. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey Boogiebass understood. I love the 750. When I was using the SM-400, SWR service didn't recommend that daisy chain practice when I wanted to do that with two 8 ohm ag 1x12s. they said it would run too hot and it wouldn't last long. Bridged at 4 0hms isn't the same internally as bridged at 8 or stereo at 4 ohms each side. In an earlier thread many bassists said they run it that way so who knows. Someone spoke of the clarity and smoothness amps have when not bridged. Anyway the 750 just has headroom for days.