Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 750x - Low Output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lgrankin, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Looking for some advice...

I just purchased a 1 year old 750x. The thing is in absolutely mint condition. The tone is awesome, but I was expecting allot more output. I'm running an Eden 2x10 XLT (8 ohm) cab... should be 450 watts into 8 ohms.

I'm easily running it a half... gain set at about 1 o'clock and the output set at 12 o'clock. I have the EQ at fairly neutral settings. I would have thought that this would tear my head off... but that's not the case.

I'm plugged into the active/passive input with my Yamaha BB-N5A. My cables are all fine.

Any thought? Does this seem normal? Should I have it checked out?

Thanks,
    LR

2. Maybe try the passive input on the amp (unless it's really distorting like crazy). Is the preamp light clipping?

Try everything at 12o'clock, including gain, Aural Enhancer, EQ and Limiter (not the FX blend,... make sure it's off/Dry) and don't turn any of the FXs on.

If that's not running loud enough I'd say that you have to get another cab to push more air and to get the full 750 watts out of it.

3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I have the earlier model, the Bass 750. I like to run the input gain set at more like 2 o'clock, but it really depends on how strong the signal is coming off of your bass. Definitely start out using the Passive/Active input, there aren't that many basses that really require the use of the Active input.

I like to run with my volume on the bass almost maxed out, then set the Gain so the preamp clip light will flash a little when playing hard, then set the output volume as needed.

To me, the volume scale on this amp isn't linear, but seems to be more like logarithmic. I have to go to about 2 o'clock as I said on the Gain, and to at least 12 o'clock on the output. But, once I hit the sweetspot on the output volume side, there is plenty (but I have to turn the knobs a little further to get there than on my other amps).

This was one of the first things I noticed using this amp compared to others, that you have to turn up more to find the volume.

I hope this helps.

4. Thanks for tips.

LR

5. clearskies2

clearskies2

Jan 11, 2005
    chicago,IL
    lgrankin.....I just bought a used 750x a few months ago to replace a Hartke 3500 and I was really disappointed initially because I thought this new SWR would blow the doors off of my Hartke as far as volume goes. When I plugged it in, I was surprised how loud I had to turn up to match the same volume of the Hartke. Since then, I have added a cabinet, bringing the ohms down to 4 and now I'd say I don't have problems with the volume. It's plenty now. However, I'd say that the SWR didn't put out as much volume as I thought it would, although I love the amp. Good luck. :bassist:

6. In my case It's the same..
    I also can not say that I am 100 % common with my SWR 550x and my SWR Goliath III (4 Ohm).
    One thing is, that I thought it would be very very loud, but, as alreadey mentioned I had to turn up the knobs quite much, so I was very astonished. And I always have to be careful because the preamp clips quite often, also at medium levels.

7. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    My SM 900 in bridged mode should also be very loud, but it`s not. It seems a little underpowered.
    Also the Eden cab is a bit powerhungry.

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Where the volume and gain knobs are set mean very little when comparing one amp to another. The Hartke 3500 may get louder at a lower number on the knob but it just means it hits its limit sooner.

Besides, what's the point of having 10 on the knob if you're loath to use it? Maybe I'll change the numbers on my amp so that I can say I get really loud at .3.

As for SWR volume issues, I would start with the gain at 5, and give the mids a bump at 200, turn the limiter OFF and the set effects blend at the MIDPOINT.

Keep in mind though, a 210 can only get you so far. I have yet to hear a 210 that can tear anyone's head off in anything but a small room. Your cab is the limiting factor IMO.

Bugbass, Eden cabs are pretty efficient (103 db/w/m) so power is not the problem. What are you bridging your 900 into?

9. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It's been my experience that most SWR's are way overrated in the power department.

10. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Ihixulu
    If i remember it right the Eden cab needed a little power to open up and cut through on stage, but maybe it`s my amp that is just underpowered...

I have a EBS 410, very good cab, the best I have tried yet. This cab replaced a Ampeg 8x8, a SWR Goliath III, and Eden 210.

Now I got a much better stage sound, even at low volumes.
    But the SM 900 is soon to be replaced, I`m looking around for a new head with a little less hi-fi sound, tips anyone?

11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I bought a 750 used last year and I too thought it should be a little louder. I have yet to turn it up past halfway so I can't really say how loud it can get. I have everything set flat with the limiter and effects blend on zero. The preamp gain is at about 7 and at most shows I end up at about 4 on the master into an 8x10 4ohm cab. I haven't needed to turn it up any louder but I think I might be affraid to. I don't want to hurt my cab and it's plenty loud enough. I know the guitar player can hear me because he gives me a smile evertime I hit a bad note.

12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I run an older Bass 750. It pounds the daylights out of anything I have ever had. Until a couple of weeks ago, I also used a Goliath II and a Big Ben under it. This amp is loud as hell. I have let a few friends use it, however, they have Fender Jazz basses. They had to turn up the input to about 12 oclock. My bass is active with a 18v pre and I run on-stage through the PA at about 8 O'clock or about on 2 or 3 and most of the time they turn me off in the mains because I am so loud. I think you should 1. Work with the amp to dial in your tone and sound better to get what you want out of the amp 2. Try another bass to see if it is really the amp 3. Dump the amp 4. Dump the bass.
    You have alot of choices. I can only say that SWR started going in the toilet soon after Steve sank a lot of his time into Raven Labs stuff and especially after they sold to Fender.
    Just my opinion though.

13. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Hey bugbass,

The EBS410 is a sweet cab, for me it was between that and the Aguilar. It is also very loud.

Ampeg SVT-CL or a Mesa Boogie 400+ might be amps that you can trade your 900 for. Another option is to try a bunch of pre's through the power section of the 900 until you find a voicing you like and then go for a complete swap. Fender's new pre is supposed to be a pretty nice vintage-y piece.

FWIW, I use an SM900, have never had volume problems with it and in instances where I need a more old school tone I run my bass through a Blue Tube. I can approximate the tone of a Musicman HD-130, which I use for lower volume gigs, pretty well. It sure ain't for everybody.

14. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    The Ampeg and Mesa heads is not what I`m looking for. Will have a closer look at the Fafner head, and maybe consider some pre/power combos.
    What`s the Blue Tube?

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I have the 750. !st gig 1st song it sounded terrible. I had dialed in the tone I thought you know some bass a little treble. Well I put everything flat and the amp opened up with tone and volume to spare. Then I realized that my bass was deficient. And... it was a hippie sandwich multi ply expensive 5 string from a very famous manufacturer. Well I got a new powerful tone machine and my SWR just gives up the tone of the bass. If you dial up tone on your amp that the bass doesn't have then you are limited to the settings on the amp. People use to complain that the SM-400 was not loud but they didn't read the owners manual. You had to crank the pre and do what you want with the master. The 750 is the same. Good Luck.

16. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

Blue Tube is basically a tube overdrive pedal that claims to be based on the Fender tone stack. I don't know if that is true or not but it does have that mind numbing interaction of the 3 bands of eq and gets close to the MM head which Leo Fender designed. Genz Benz makes them.

17. Aren't those all based on the Chandler Tube Driver? In that late 80's/Early 90's time there were all those pedals and rack things like the Tube Driver, Blues Driver, Blue Tube- etc. All essentially using a 12ax7 to emulate a cranking preamp.

I had a Chandler Tube Driver and a 100w non-MV Marshall as my guitar rig back in the day. It was really bright and piercy, and you couldn't get a lot of bottom end out of it.

18. Big D

Big D

May 26, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    First off - this is my first post, although I have been lurking for a while. This is a great forum.

I have officially had it with my SWR 750x. It is just not as loud as one would expect. I have it running into a Goliath (4x10) and a Son of Bertha (1x15) and it just doesn't keep up with the rest of the band. Granted, we just upgraded the PA and the keyboard player just stuck a Crown CE-2000 and two new Yamaha Club Series speakers into his rig, but I still expect a $1000+ head to keep up.

An Ampeg pre-amp (SVP-PRO) is on order and a QSC RMX 2450 is waiting to be racked. I am interested to see how that sounds with the SWR cabs.

19. Cigles

Cigles

Nov 20, 2010
    This is probably way too late but here it is.

I recently noticed that if I turn the compressor down to zero, all sorts of volumes slam in. I'm running an SM500 head on a Henry the 8x8 and usually run all my nobs at half, I know....

Well by accident I happen to turn the compressor down and Henry almost walked away from me, it was that loud. Now I run the compressor off and it's like I've got a new amp. I can't believe how loud 500 watts gets and I'm competing with a Marshall stack and hard hitting drummer.

Carlos

20. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I agree with Todd, the master volume knob set to 3/4 only gave me about half the volume potential on my SWR Bass-750. Don't be afraid to crank that master knob up higher than other brands.