1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR 750x tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ajbuell97, Apr 13, 2015.

1. ajbuell97

ajbuell97

Apr 13, 2015
    Hey guys. So I'm a bassist of 10 years now, I started on double bass and began with electric bass and electric guitar two years after that. I have played electric bss in jazz groups for the last 8 years. Throughout the years the electric guitar has been the instrument that I have really spent the most of money on because it is the one that I mostly played in my personal bands and things like that, so I know all about electric guitar equipment, but through all of my electric guitar purchases I have only purchased a few different things for electric bass. I play a fender american standard jazz bass which I love and am okay with. I also have an ampeg ba100 combo. I bought this amp because it is the one that the jazz group I play in owns and it worked well in that situation. It works for me at home for practice and I feel it has a nice tone. The problem recently came into play when I had to switch from electric guitar to bass in my band that plays rock music ranging anywhere from the strokes to led zeppelin to wolfmother. The amp does not have enough power and is no longer living up to my needs. At a performance this weekend with my jazz group I was provided an SWR 750x Head with a Goliath II 4x10 Cab. I was absolutely blown away by the tone of this amp, absolutely incredible. I didn't come to ask "which amp is better X or Y" because I've learned from years of searching forums on guitar amps that it never helps. I know I love the tone of this amp but my question is, how does it perform in a rock band situation given the type of music I will be using it for? Can it get loud enough to deal with a loud band? Does it get lost in the mix easily? And also does anyone know what a fair price might be for the amp head alone used or brand new?

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    It should work fine for most groups. There are lighter alternatives out there that will sound as good as better. Aguilar's, GK's, TecAmp, and a whole bunch of others. Pre/poweramp setups will be lighter,cheaper, more powerful than the SWR.

If you're set on it, don't use the aural enhancer or deep switch. Boost the low mids around 200hz. Don't put the bass knob much past 12:00. I wouldn't spend more than $450 on one considering all the lighter more powerful routes you can go.

3. ajbuell97

ajbuell97

Apr 13, 2015
    Any recommendations on what to specifically try from gk or from ampeg? I really prefer tubes but the right solid state will be okay

4. GDUBS

GDUBS

Mar 2, 2013
    Madison, VA
    I used to own the 750x. Good clean tone that certainly can cut through a mix. That being said, I certainly think the amps 750 Watt power rating seems high. I ran it with 215s or 410s both 4 ohm loads and I never felt it had 750 watts of power. You stated you prefer the sound of tubes, well the swr certainly is far from that sound. With a VT bass pedal it helped but....... I found I quickly got tired of the somewhat sterile tone and weight of the swr. They are no longer made so used is your only option. I see you already have the ampeg combo. If you like that tone grab a used portaflex 500 or 800 and match to a cab of your liking. Or if you want a good tube tone in solid state form a genz Benz steamliner is a great choice. Those are no longer made but servicing them is still very easy. And of course for true tube tone, well my friend.... Nothing beats the real deal. And ampeg vb4 is a great option! I absolutely love mine

5. GDUBS

GDUBS

Mar 2, 2013
    Madison, VA
    Although I haven't tried one the gk mb500 fusion seems like a great option too. I've been very anxious to try one of those myself.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If you prefer tubes you should be looking at tube amps ;)

Ampeg SVT-CL, SVT Heritage, SVT VR, SVT II, SVT II Pro, V4B
    Orange AD200B
    Mesa Prodigy, Strategy, D180, 400, 400+

The SWR you're looking at is a hybrid amp, meaning it has a tube preamp (with a single tube) and a SS power amp. SWR isn't really known for it's "tubiness" but it's SS tone. I'm guessing the tube in it really doesn't contribute much to it's tone.

Anything from GK would be a hybrid as well. The MB Fusion series has a tube preamp.

GDUBS likes this.
  7. ajbuell97

ajbuell97

Apr 13, 2015
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will check out the vb4. As i mentioned before i havent explored the world of bass equipment to deeply but from my experience of guitar equipment, if you're a tone freak and you want the true all tube tone you can't compromise so I feel I might as well just go for it from the get go. Could you possibly describe to me the tonal characteristics of a solid state bass tone vs an all tube bass tone?

8. ajbuell97

ajbuell97

Apr 13, 2015
    thanks for the quick reply I will likely be trying out a lot of those amps you recommended. Do they work well for jazz bass playin?

9. GDUBS

GDUBS

Mar 2, 2013
    Madison, VA
    I agree with the options that Dave made as well! The tube svts are just beasts! Mesa also! I've never played the orange ad200b, but I do own the orange terror 500. Great hybrid amp. Super loud, somewhat tube n fat at lower volumes but gets rather aggressive quickly. Don't know if that would be the best jazz option. And Dave correct me if I'm wrong but I think only the gk fusions are hybrid.

10. GDUBS

GDUBS

Mar 2, 2013
    Madison, VA
    Oh and ajbuell97 welcome to the wonderful world of bass!

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep, that's correct. They have a tube preamp (3 tubes I believe)

12. ajbuell97

ajbuell97

Apr 13, 2015
    Thanks I'm really excited to be part! I was looking online at the ampeg vb4 and noticed that it is only 100 watts where as most are a lot more. Is 100 watts from this amp going to be powerful enough?

13. GDUBS

GDUBS

Mar 2, 2013
    Madison, VA
    I hate to use the term tube watts but there is something to it. It gets considerably louder than my pf350s. And an ampeg svt is rated at what 300 watts. My god that thing is a thunderous monster that will rattle fillings loose. That being said, alot has to do with what cab you use. I run a v4b into 2 svt212av cabinets. Gets crazy loud, yet on high volume it does start to break up and deliver that wonderful tube overdrive. When I run just one of and I try to match the volume of the two cabs it overdrive sooner. It all depends on how much clean headroom you want. I tried it with an 810 cab and it got to loud for my needs before it really starting breaking up. It comes down to how much clean headroom you want or need.

14. GDUBS

GDUBS

Mar 2, 2013
    Madison, VA
    Let me clarify a little better, sorry I'm at work. My v4b rated at 100 way louder that my pf350 rated at 350 watts. An Ampeg svt rated at 300 is insanely loud. Depending on which cab you pair with it, it's ridiculous loud before it truly starts to overdrive. Like kicked out of your home or your band fired kind of loud

15. ajbuell97

ajbuell97

Apr 13, 2015
    Okay so I am definitely interested in the ampeg brand of amps, but my local music stores dont have all of the ones that I would like to try out. So In anyone's opinion what are some of the models I should really look into from ampeg, and what kind of cabs to go with? (Sorry for so many different questions I'm just trying to narrow things down having never done this before)

16. GDUBS

GDUBS

Mar 2, 2013
    Madison, VA
    Alot comes down to how much clean volume you want and or need. And how often and how much are you willing to lift or deal with.

17. ajbuell97

ajbuell97

Apr 13, 2015
    I would really like as much clean headroom as I can get and I don't mind lifting and moving as much as I need to get the sound I'm looking for. I have a vocalist to help me out;)

18. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I own a 750x and used it for years with no issues, and no problems with 'tone' or volume. Seriously, if you play in a band that is loud, any nuance to the tone is lost. However, I recently started using my old Traynor Bass Master II (90 watts), just for fun, to see what it could do. I hadn't used it in over ten years. I must say the difference isn't so much the volume, but how 'wide' the sound has become. I know that's a bad description, but I don't know how else to describe it. Even at low volumes, it's full of authority and presence. I have had good results with SWR: besides the 750x, I have a super redhead, Goliath II 4x10 and Bertha 1x15, always reliable, sounds great, and looks good. Although the weight of the Traynor is a bit obnoxious, I will take it to any medium to large venue gigs I do now. I'll agree that, IME, the tube watts are indeed more powerful, or at least is sure seems that way to me. More than the power though, the tone is rich and full. Again just IME, any nuance in the tonal quality of the SWR would be lost at mid to high volumes, this isn't necessarily the case with the Traynor. Is that the even harmonics thing that I've read so much about?

Ekim likes this.
  19. SamuelSandoval

SamuelSandoval Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I'm extremely happy with my Aguilar Rig that I bought about two months ago. It does clean fairly well, and vintage type tones or character very well with it's drive knob (some say it can get "tubey" sounding). It easily cuts through any mix and is loud! If weight is a possible factor, you might want to look into the Aguilar ToneHammer 500 amp. BTW, 500 watts is a modest rating, very modest. Plus it's pretty much indestructible.

20. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    Same here. I use it with a SansAmp VT bass and it sounds great. The last time I used it was a venue that held about 150 with no PA support, against a loud drummer and 2 loud 412 guitar half stacks.
    I was playing the head through a 410 and it was loud as hell. I've used that head before through an Ampeg 810e & an SWR Goliath Sr and caused mini earthquakes.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Blueszilla likes this.