Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 750X Tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mponthier, Apr 22, 2004.

1. I was just wondering if anyone knew the maker of the 12AX7 tube in the 750X. Also, have any of you 750X users swapped out the tube for a different maker's tube? If so, I'd be interested in your observations.

2. The Sovtek 12ax7lp(s) also sounds very good. A little more friendly sounding than the somewhat harsh sounding sovtek 12ax7wa that comes with the amp.

3. For the money you can't beat a good NOS USA 12AX7/7025.

4. Mullard ECC83 (marked Philips 7025A/12AX7A Gt. Britain) Came in a old Traynor YGL-3A guitar head, but being a Mullard still sounds the best of all my tubes. I tried about 7 different tubes too. I also really liked my RFT ECC83, a nice 1970's East German tube. Only changed it when it started making noise. Either are light years better than the stock Chinese or Russian tube used by SWR, losing much of the amp's excessively glassy sound in the process. The RFT gave me a lovely warm midrange, and the Mullard even more so, with a delicacy and complexity no new tube matches.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Stock SWR preamp tubes are tested and labeled by Groove Tubes.

I've been using a Sylvanvia NOS JAN 5751 with excellent results
    in my SWR SM 400S for the past 4 years.
    (Rounder Bottom and no "excessively glassy sound")

I'm ready for a new tube myself and going to try the GT 12AX7M.

Early word is that they a great in SWR's.

Groove Tubes have recently released their new 12AX7M "NVM" (new vintage manufacture).

One Comment:
    I got a few spare moments last night to pop the GT 12AX7-M into my SWR Interstellar Overdrive.
    Honestly, I wasn't really expecting fireworks--my ears aren't the best when it comes to these things.
    My hearing exists in a very "relative" sense, as opposed to an "absolute" sense.
    I'd be a lousy sound engineer.

Whatever the case, the sound was awesome, and a tremendous improvement
    over the tube that was in there before.
    It was deeper, rounder, clearer and warmer all at the same time.
    It was just plain "better". I couldn't believe it was my 60's classic jazz I was playing, because it sounded incredible.

Torres Engineering is selling them for $19.95.