Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 750x

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wiggett, Jun 27, 2005.

1. so ya,

just post any experience/comments on it.

avoid saying its not worth the money, as it would be purchased used.

so please, post any comments, and how it would match up against 2 marshall halfstacks and a loud drummer. and be suited for metal, jazz, and solo bass work.

2. Cant comment on the 750x, but the band we did a show with last night was using a Bass 750 and a Goliath III. It had a great sound to it, but he was only competing with one marshall half stack and loud drummer. If it were to be 2 guitars to compete with, add a S.O.B. cabinet and you're in business. I've heard that the 750x isnt as good as the original, but if you take out the subwave and distortion arent they technically the same amp?

3. i probably wont use the subwave, and only a little bit of distortion from the preamp tube. anything else i can buy a digitech xbd.

i do play lots of metal, so slight OD distortions good, but not mandatory.

avatar cabinets will be used. (B212neo once its released, and a 410 later on down the road) (2-3 paychecks, and its mine. im only 14turning15inaugust, and i work at a butcher shop getting 7.25CDN/hour, so its not too bad. i work anywere from 5-8 hour shifts, so i make decent money for a kid my age.

bonus for me, the canadian avatar dealer is in my town:)

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    My two-year amp search narrowed down to the 750X and the Mini Mo' pre (can you tell I'm a fan of the SWR "punch"? ;) ) and the only reason I went with the Mini Mo' was that I've used all the effect contained in it on a regular basis in the past, and that having them integrated into the pre along with some of the features (the signal-spliting "dual mode" being the main one) made more sense to me both in terms of setup as well as money spent.

But if that wasn't a need, I absolutely would have gone with the 750X. Punch for weeks, a great overdrive/distortion tube circuit that can range from Ampeg grit to Rage-overdrive to full-on Peter/Steele Type O Negative distortion (trust me, it will destroy a DigiTech/Boss/lower-end pedal) and the SubWave feature is useful given the right circumstance. I think it would be well-suited for all the styles you mentioned, as it's fairly "neutral" in its tone... not EA neutral, but *its* sound is clean yet flexible.

5. I've use a few 750X's and Goliath 4X10 cabs as backline rigs for gigs that I've done, and everytime they have really lacked low-end punch. Even boosting the lows wouldn't give me the bottom that I'm used to. I currently run an Avalon U5 with a QSC PLX2402 and an Avatar 212 cab. I used to use an Eden WT-800, pre 4ohm bridged era, with an SWR 410 and that combo sounded really good. If you've tried the 750X and it works for you I say get it and play the crap out of it, it ain't the gear, it's the player!!!!!!

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I personally wouldn't use the 750x in a rock or metal setting, but for funk and solo work its pretty good. It would be decent for jazz. I have 2 issues with the amp:
    1) Not as warm as I'd like
    2) The watts are a tad bit inflated compared to other brands
    I would not recommend the 750 for your setting.