SWR 750x ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dmas81, Sep 19, 2006.

1. dmas81

dmas81 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have somewhat of a tough question for all of you gear-heads out there. I recently had the oppurtunity to purchase a SWR 750x amp. After some research of it, I bought it for the fact if I didn't like it, I could sell it on Ebay and make some money. Anyway, I plugged it into a crate 2x15 cabinet w/ the optional jbl speakers. This cabinet is 400 watts @ 4ohm. Now I realize this cabinet is cheap, but I expected to hear a significant difference on that cabinet from the original crate 220 watt amp that was plugged into it. Basically the SWR 750x sounded like CRAP!!! Very abbrasive, when popping it hurt your ears, even at a low volume.

I'm not against buying new cabinets as I assumed I would already have to anyway, but if I were to purchase say a Goliath III 4x10 @ 8ohm and a Son of Bertha 1x15, will these cabs make this amp sing? Or does this amp live up to having a lot of power and absolutely ugly tone?

FYI, I play black gospel at church, and then am in a guitar driven christian rock band also. To give you an idea what kind of sound I would be interested in.

I realize all sounds are relative to what the user is searching for, but I just want some reassurance that the horrible tone i was getting was my 2x15 speakers not the amp. Thanks

2. Guess they don't make them like they used to.. I have the older model the 750 and it sounds great. Very modern and hifi which I wanted when I play my Warwick 6.

Take the had to a gear store and play it with other cabs. If it still sounds like crap sell it and get something else. Rememgber not use the Aural exciter too much or it will suck out your tone and mids.

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Turn off the effects set the eq. flat and turn off the aural. Raise the pre to about 11:00 or when light flashes. Back off a little then raise master to taste. Yes the older 750s sound mighty, clean warm, vintage if you want. This one may be user error or ill. Try it at some shops.

4. yeah man, youre doin something wrong, start from scratch and dont bother with the aural enhancer, its the suck knob. i have a 350, and i absolutely love it, its got a great rich tone to it. check your eq and find a good tone, then buy the new cabs anyway. :)

5. My 550x sounds terrific.. I suggest you try to fix either cabinet or start mixing with the eq.. They are great heads.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I owned a 750X briefly. Even with the bass knob cranked I couldn't get the low end response I wanted out of it. Actually, my old SWR 8004 T/O/P head had WAY more low end than that 750X.

Different strokes I suppose.

7. That is really strange.. My low B sounds super loud and deep if I want to...

8. dmas81

dmas81 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Well that makes me feel better. I from what I read this head is a little tricky in dialing in the tone. It's gotta be the 2x15's I'm playing through. I'm playing a Spector 5 string Euro series, so I wouldn't assume it's the bass. In response to your posts I will buy the new cabinets.

Any suggestions on cabinets besides the SWR's I mentioned above?

What's the benefit of having 2) 4x10 rather than 1) 4x10 w/ a 1x15?

Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  9. yeah its gotta be the cabs ur using ,u can take ur amp and try different cabs to see which u like best.

10. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you could probably do better than a Crate 2x15", but bringing up that you play a Spector Euro sheds some light - they're notorious for intensely high output, and could be at least some of the cause of "abrasive" sound. I would run that flat as well - start completely from scratch and build a sound from their.

An SWR Goliath III/SOB setup would be absolutely killer (IMO) with this amp, but that's also a fair amount of cash. Consider Avatar as a nice stepping stone between Crate and SWR - I always recommend my setup, a 2x10" and 2x12" as having a good amount of speaker area yet not too large or heavy for transportation, but you have plenty of options there.

Generally faster transients and no having to balance the volume between the two cabs, but a large portion like having a larger speaker for "deeper lows". This is a whole 'nother conversation, however.

Good luck!

11. Jules Forcella

Jules Forcella

Aug 28, 2005
    Frankfurt a.M. / Deutschland
    Endorsing Artist: AccuGroove
    I got a 750X still made by SWR :cool: - and its phat !!!! and it sounds (and sounded) good with every Cab. I used it (SWR, Epifani, Accugroove (now))

But I'm goin to sell it..... but just because after 8 years of SWR I need a change:smug:

J.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021