Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR 8004 TOP Big Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lync, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Anyone have experience with these? It is the Workingman's Series, but are advertised as more of a "rock" amp, if that makes sense.

The 750 watt head is being blown out at MF for $549 and the corresponding 8X10 cab for $599.

Lync

2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Judging by the lack of replies, I would say that the reason they are being blown out is because they never sold in the first place! :eyebrow:

Lync

3. Yeah...I can't even find a review on it. However, to quote Edgebass5 off of http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145867:

"I run an SWR Workingman's 8004 T/O/P head and a Workingman's 8x10 tower, and its amazing. If the same quality is consitent with their 4x10 setups than I would highly suggest SWR. Ampeg is known for quality and has been an industry standard for years. G-K seems to be gaining a lot of popularity lately. In my experience Peavey amps can get loud (very loud in some cases) but it almost seems that the tone sacrifices some quality for volume, that might just be me though, just go and try them out to find what fits you the best."

4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Well,

I own(ed) all of the above. I used to have a Workingman's 15 that was pretty nice for what it was. I realize that this is still at the Workingman's level, but it has power and supposedly the 8X10 is one of the lightest made. Just wondering if the tone is similar to SWR, or more along the lines of Ampeg.

About $1200 and you have a huge rig!

Lync

5. I actually use the 8x10 with the 4004 head. I use for playing at church and the occasional gig somewhere else. It has a really good sound to it. Very good for fingerstyle funk, rock, blues, jazz, heavy metal. It sounds really good for slapping if you have brand new strings on your bass. The highs are a little modest on it. Nothat they're not there, but they are more like a high mid type of frequency. Overall the sound is very consistent with the 4x10 and cuts through the mix very well. this cab needs some juice though, my 4004 has been cut off periodically while powering this cab. By periodically, I mean, it has happened twice since February. Probably because it is straining with trying to keep up with the cab. I use the cab at least 2-3 times a week and has never given me a problem. My guitar player uses a Mesa Boogie Triple Rec with an Avatar 4x12 and my cab can shut him down, especially since he doesn't know how to turn down.

All in all, it is a good cabinet and I honestly like the sound of it better than the Ampeg. Ampeg 8x10's are rock 'n' roll only while this one seems to be more versatile. Hope that helps. For $1100 you can't beat this setup, plus it is also much lighter than the Ampeg too.

It is definitely SWR tone though, to answer your question.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've played through an SWR workingman. It's not the classic Ampeg tone by far... but that wasnt my concern. I'm more for the heavy rock stuff... and I think it would suit the needs for that.

Not a bad price.... but you'd might wanna ask someone with owners experience about reliability.

7. Edwcdc has one too. You may want to get his opinion also. 2 opinions are better than one.

8. Here's what a reviewer said about the cab on MF.

Bad a** cab for any sound
    Features: 9
    Quality: 10
    Value: 10
    Overall: 9

13deep, La from Lafayette, LA
    Experience: I own it
    Background: Active Musician
    Style of Music: Hard Rock

Jul 26, 2004 - I've had the workingman's tower for about 2 years now and not one problem with it. I'm in a hard rock band, so i really throw the power to it and the cab just doesn't seem to distort at all. It is also much lighter than other 8x10 cabs but it has twice the sound. I've been told numerous times that I am the loudest bass player around, and i owe it all to the Tower. I would advise any bassist looking for more tone and volume to pick one up. It's worth every cent.

9. I stood about 6 feet from Rocco Prestia at Namm '02 when he was demo'ing/debuting this rig. He was playing it through his signature Conklin GT 4 string and Played 'What is Hip' karaoke style. It was rock solid, thick and warm. I wouldn't say it was like SWR's tone at all, which is characteristically bright. I don't really know how to describe it, but the closest I could come would be the Mesa M-pulse heads or the Carvin B1500 Monoblock head. Just straight up power with a simple eq section. It just makes your bass louder, which is the whole point of an amp.

10. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    That is what I suspected, but having never seen or heard one, it would be an internet buy sight unseen. Problem is, shipping back (if it blows) would be expensive.

Lync

11. I have the Workingman's 8004. I'm using it with (2) Goliath Jrs, and a SOB. So it's putting out 850 watts at 2.67 ohms. Sounds like alot, but it doesn't seem real powerful. Part of this may be the bass I've been using. I picked up a new Schecter today, so maybe that'll have a little more juice. I was told it has the same power section as the 750x. I haven't gigged with this amp yet, which is why I haven't given a complete review. I like the tone, and the clarity is amazing...no mud. It has alot of ins/outs...preamp out, power amp in, line out, tuner out...this is a plus to me, as I like to tinker. I like the DI, which has a line/direct switch...well I like it at home anyway. I wish it had a tube preamp because to me it's lacking something. I was thinking about adding a Samson C VALVE to warm up my tone. IMO $549 is a steal for that amp. One thing I found, Musicians Friend states the amp weighs 37 lbs. and SWR states 49 lbs. I think SWR is correct, this amp is solid !

Sorry if this didn't help. I can't give an honest opinion until I gig with it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

12. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    That helped thanks. Don't know if I'm gonna pull the trigger though.

How about a Sans Amp Bass Driver to liven it up a bit? I have one and it does the trick for amps that just need that something extra.

Lync

13. I've thought about the Sansamp. A buddy of mine ordered the acoustic di, so I may try that.

14. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Arkham
    I run my Precision Elite II through my GK 1001 RB-II head and into my 8x10 Workingman's Tower. It sounds freaking mind-blowing and will rattle your bones! I would recommend the Workingman's Tower to anyone. One thing to remember is that after Fender bought SWR, they changed the names from Workingman to WorkingPro. So, the name is a dead giveaway as to production.

15. TKO1975

TKO1975

Oct 5, 2011
    I've used this amp for the last 2 years. It rocks. I also run the preamp out to a crown power amp for my low end. I use these two amps, a 1x18", 1X15", and 2x10" with a horn, and I throw down a great tone out of my Tobias.

16. TKO1975

TKO1975

Oct 5, 2011
    If this amp isn't enough power, you're playing in the middle of the cornfield from field of dreams.