1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR 8x8 Standalone or Aggie GS212 + SWR Triad Rig??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by potatoes, Jul 25, 2012.

1. potatoes

potatoes

May 26, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Hello all!

I'm in need of help with my next cab-buying decision. From the past few shows (on increasingly larger stages to larger crowds) it has become clear to me that I need to push more air to balance out the sound of two guitarists (who each play out of single 4x12s and tube heads), a loud drummer and a roaring vocalist. My band plays D-tuned sludge/post-metal, so there's a lot of droning low-register riffs and densely layered chords that I need to supply deep low end to. My current setup is a Genz Benz GBE 600 pushing 450W into a 4-ohm Aguilar GS 212, which is rated at 600W.

I've narrowed my choices down to 2 SWR cabs because cash is flying out of my pockets at the moment (new car, past-due bills, etc) and $400 is about the most I'm able to spend at the moment. I can either:

A) Buy an older (pre-Fender?) Henry the 8x8 and use it as a stand-alone cab. I haven't been able to find one at a local music shop to try out for myself, but judging from reviews this would be all I need for my live situation. The in-house PA system is not always reliable at the venues we frequent and this would (may?) be a consistently loud and punchy alternative to a 2x12 being overpowered by 8 guitar speakers and a mic'd drum kit. The only con to this would be transportation (I drive a small 4-dr sedan). Other pros would be that I could easily leave the 8x8 at home if I book a coffee-house gig with my other band, etc., and I could leave it at the practice spot because I'd have the Aggie at home. Estimated craigslist/talkbass/musicgoround price: $400

B) Buy an older SWR Triad and pair it with my GS 212 for larger venues/stages. I've not had any experience mixing/matching cabs before as I've never had the money to experiment, but this seems like it'd be a good mix? I feel as though the GS 212 isn't pushing the low end enough with my amp at the levels my band plays. I choose to back off on the EQ/Volume rather than risk clipping long in these situations, but I sacrifice low end in the process. I think the 15" and 10" would add depth and clarity to the already-stellar definition of the GS212. The pros to this purchase would be a good full-range sound (or is that just me being fooled by different driver sizes?) and a choice to either bring both, one, or the other to a gig depending on what is called for. Transportation wouldn't be difficult; price is lower. Cons might be the odd pairing of Aguilar and SWR drivers, unbalanced sound, etc. craigslist/GC-used price: $300.

Any help with my (mis)conceptions of these two options would be greatly appreciated. My apologies if such a topic has been discussed widely. If so, kindly redirect me and I'll close this out.

Cheers,

- Joel

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    A)Try before you buy because the 8x8 may lean into your car easily. It is punchy and loud but whether it is loud enough for you is the question.
    B) No! Don't waste your money trying.
    Get one good cab.

Is the rest of the band aware that they are drowning you out? See if they will turn down.
    I know, Science Fiction!:)

GSs are quite mid scooped and so won't put much audible signal out if you don't boost it.

Sell and get one good cab.

3. boethius

boethius

Sep 27, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Henry is pretty loud and very punchy. I still regret selling that cab as it wasn't too hard to move around and sounded great!

4. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    Mixing these different cabs probably won't sound too good. I wouldn't risk it.

There is no way you could find another Aguilar 2x12?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If the Genz is capable of 2 ohms, get a 2nd GS212. Or, sell the 212, and get ONE good cab, like a 412.