1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Swr 900 And cabs HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XconexzombieX, Nov 18, 2018.

1. XconexzombieX

XconexzombieX

Nov 18, 2018
    I have been looking for a new bass rig and found a affordable seller. The rig is

Swr sm-900

Swr- Big Ben cab 1x18

Swr- Goliath sr 6x10 cab

Now the only thing is is that a safe combination to even use?

dBChad and BrentSimons like this.
  2. Welcome to TB.
    I got nuthin’ except a howdy shout. :thumbsup:

3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    SM900 with matching 610
    Would be a pretty nice rig indeed

JaseyT likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Just note that there are parts in t hat amp that are no longer available, and there are very few speaker parts available as well. Buyer beware, but if everything works it could be a nice rig.

5. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Perfectly safe, since even though I dont remember the impedance of those cabs (pretty sure Big Ben is 8 ohms, G Sr is probably closer to 4), the SM-900 is a dual channel amp. So you could put one cab on each "side" and you could either run them full range or I'm pretty sure the amp has a built in crossover to send lows to the 18 and everything else to the 10s.

But I'd say the 610 is overmatched for the 18, which would make more sense output wise with a 4x10 or maybe even something a bit smaller. Depends on how loud you typically play. Having said that, you could certainly get by with JUST the 610 and skip the 18 altogether. And then I think you can bridge the amp to get 900w to the 610 alone (they're rated at least that).

Of course, if you got all 3 pieces and then threw a regular Goliath 4x10, you would have "small", medium, and LARGE rigs at your disposal, to choose as needed, by using more or less pieces. 1 side of amp into 4x10, bridged into 6x10, or biamped into 4x10 and 18.

dBChad and ihixulu like this.
  6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I ran a 900 bridged into a Goliath Senior for a few years. It was a very very loud, versatile rig. Lots of fun.

I second Omega Monkey's comment - I don't see how the 18 would be audible next to the Senior. I would pass on the Big Ben. If you do get both cabs, you'll have to run the head in stereo with each cab running off a side to stay within safe operating impedance range.

basscapes likes this.
  7. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I spoke to Eminence and they offer the Legend CA10-8 as a replacement driver for the Senior.

8. XconexzombieX

XconexzombieX

Nov 18, 2018
    Thanks guys. The rig is a bundle deal.
    I thought I’d post here because I have no knowledge of the swr series or anything but 300$ for a rig sounds to good to be true to me

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Sure, but is sounds nothing like the original PAS driver. (I'm pretty sure those cabinets still used PAS, but there was a transition period).

10. If it all works, $300 for that rig is a fantastic steal. If it doesn't work, then not so much.

The SM-900 alone is worth more than that, if it's in good working order. Fantastic amp!

11. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Swr 610 all the way, not very portable but not bad and works well for a variety of styles. I play this exact rig at rehearsal studio with this one rock band and it always gives me a smile

12. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Oh, for $300 you might as well just get it all and sell the 18. Thats a pretty insane price for those 3 if they're in good shape. The head or the 610 alone would normally go for that. So even if you had to unload the 18 for cheap, you're still hundreds of dollars ahead. Sell the 18 to someone who can use it for like $100, and you'll have a world class rig for $200.

dBChad and Chad Michael like this.
  13. XconexzombieX

XconexzombieX

Nov 18, 2018
    I have pictures of the rig but the only thing is I’d have to drive an hour and a half away. But for the price might just be worth the drive

Attached Files:

14. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Lets put it this way... for that price for all 3, you'd be stupid not to spend 3 hours of your time and $10 bucks in gas to go investigate. And the stuff looks like it's in good good condition. The only (potential) issue I see is that the price is suspiciously good. So hopefully it's not stolen and the guy just wants to unload it quick. Asking detailed questions about the stuff may give you an idea if the guy is actually the owner (like, "how long have you had it?","what kind of stuff were you playing?", "what sort of venues/crowd sizes?", etc...). Use the friendly chit chat part of the demo to get the guy talking about the stuff. If it's actually his if you get him going and keep asking "innocent" but probing questions, either your spidey sense will tingle or it won't. Anyway, just a precaution to take.

And make sure to take a good bass that you are comfortable with and a good cable (and strap). First rule of craigslist shopping (or in person gear demos) is that a guy selling an amp will always either have a sucky bass, or a weird bass, or a sucky weird bass. Probably with sky high action. Probably with flat wounds. Probably with dirty pots/jack. Plus once you buy it, you're not going to be playing his bass through it, so you should make sure it sounds good with your own and that everything works.

15. XconexzombieX

XconexzombieX

Nov 18, 2018
    Thank you. I planned on taking my schecter Stiletto custom 4 to play through it. The rig I’m playing through now just has a muddy tone when playing loud. But if I turn it down it sounds fine but can’t hear it over guitar drums and vocals of my band.

16. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    My understanding is the Eminence provided the drivers for the last iterations of the cab (which didn't sound all that different from previous versions, to my ears at least).

17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    IMO, the PAS has a very different mid character but suffered from reliability issues as amps got larger.

I'm just pointing out that there are parts that are no longer available, and invthe case of the amp's there may not be acceptable workarounds for the average tech.

18. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I have never used the the Goliath 610 but I did use the Big Ben with a Series I SWR RedHead. IMHO it matched up real well with the RedHeads 210. If you try to push a lot of lows I think you will blow the Big Ben, especially if you expect it to compete with the 610. IMHO the Big Ben is not really a subwoofer, so you should not expect a lot of lows from it. In other words don't biamp and expect the Big Ben to hold its own.

The SWR sound is a bit scooped in the low mids. IMHO what the Big Ben excels at is filling in the hole. Try running the SM900 in dual mono and get your basic sound with the 610. If you need a bit stronger low mids, fade in a bit of the Big Ben to taste. The Big Ben should be rated for 400W at 8 ohms, but it probably won't take 400W much below 100Hz.

The manual I found says power output of the SM900 in dual mono is 400W @ 4 ohms and 240W @ 8 ohms. Each output section is rated to run at 2 ohms, but the manual does not identify rated power @ 2 ohms...4 ohms is recommended.

Regarding bridge mode operation, minimum impedance for bridge mode is 4 ohms. Power output in bridge mode is 650W at 8 ohms and 900W at 4 ohms.

If you can't get enough volume in dual mono, I would bench the Big Ben and bridge the SM900 into the 610. Goliath Sr Specs say the cab with PAS drivers was rated for 1000W at 4 ohms. Be careful as I believe you can easily push this cab beyond it's limits with 900W. Musicians Friend shows specs for the series IV Goliath Sr with custom Eminence drivers was 1200W at 4 ohms. I would still be careful pushing too much lows at high volume. A good HPF is probably in order as I believe the SM900 has an extended low frequency response that can eat up head room and damage speakers.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    chadds likes this.
  19. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    For 300??? Great price!
    I love SWR stuff but be warned they're really heavy.

20. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I've owned two SWR setups and have heard several people use this same setup - - and they were fantastic. If everything works, I'd jump on this deal in a millisecond.