1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supadupada, Jan 9, 2012.

1. OK,

I need some advice here, I have concluded that right now the sound I am looking for is the SWR sound. However, I am having trouble figuring out which cab(s) I want. For a sound reference, think 311 and Pearl Jam those are the two simlar tones I like.

Here is my situation, I play in a basement with 2-3 other guitar players and a drummer. We play out no more then 2 times a year and when we do it usually outside for about 200 people at a friends house. At this time we don't have enought P.A. support for anything beyond vocals.

I am going to have a SWR ISO => QSC GX5 =>

Options

Megoliath: It's a freaking 8x10, it pounds, it goes low and when I am just practicing in the basment I can just use the top half instead of the whole cab.

2x Goliath 4x10: How does this sound compared to the Megoliath? Same? Better? Worse? It would be easier to procure 1 cab at a time.

Henery 8x8: This is one cab I would LOVE to try because I think it's like a mini Megoliath. I just rarely ever seem them come up used within a reasonable driving distance from me. I think this cab paired with a Big Ben might sound great.

What would all of you think? My budget for cab's is around $600.

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The 8x8 is really punchy and round, much less brash than the normal swr sound. I'd go megagoliath. I think big cabs sound better and are actually easier to move since they tilt and roll. And it'll have a ton of volume and take eq well, so you can get whatever sound you want.

3. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    The Goliath Sr. is a serious pounder! I had one and wish I still had it at times.

4. joophaarman

joophaarman

Nov 29, 2008
    Hi there.. I've played all your options before I had the Megoliath... this sucker outperforms 2x4 and the Henry/Big Ben combination. I play it with my Mo Bass and everyone is drooling... go for it!
    Greetz,
    Joop -from Holland

5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    If the PA supports vocals only, I believe that a single 4x10 and at least 400 watts (at the cabinet impedance) will easily offer a good balance.
    Honestly, if there is no kick drum and other instrument fill in the mains you will be plenty loud enough to maintain a decent balance with the above.
    It's not about how loud the bass is but rather how good the mix between all instruments is.

6. +1. These are wise words. Without the kick being mic'd, a properly powered 410 should get you loud enough unless you have extreme lows in your sound like NuMetal.

7. Goliath SR 610. It's a compromise between the 810 and the 410, but better!

8. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've owned and actively gigged all of the options you mention including the Sr (610). If I had to choose a one cab solution I would go with the Megoliath. The Henry and the Sr are both excellent, but the Megoliath has a girth too it that was well beyond my pair of Goliath IIIs.

I do a agree though that you can likely get all you need from 1 Goliath III.

9. And I am not just saying it, I have lots of past experience with the SWR cabs. The 610 is full sounding, goes loud, and is easy(ish) to move.