SWR amp hissing/humming...is this common?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Jan 25, 2002.

1. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Hey, I thought that there was a thread about this awhile back but I could only find things about their cabinents in the archives.

Anyway, I've got a SWR Workingman's 10 and though I really like it's power and portability; I just hate it's hiss and hum! Even with all controls at '0' and nothing plugged into the input, it's still really annoying and clearly audible. Granted, you don't hear it with a band, but still... Is this something that is common for SWR amps? Or is it a Workingman's thing or what? Both of my Crate amps are a ton quieter than this (the BX-100 is dead quiet, seriously) even when I have the tweeter on the WM10 turned off. Just curious. Thanks.
  2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    That is wierd. I have a WM15 and doesnt hiss. I was going to suggest that you turn off your tweeter but you said that youve already done that. Dont know what to tell ya.
  3. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i don't know if workingman's have preamp tubes, but if they do i would start there for targeting the problem. If all controls are set at 0 and its still humming, there is something wrong happening, it shouldn't do that on its own. ALso try plugging it in to a different wall outlet, sometimes the power can induce some hum.
  4. My SWR WM10 hisses only with the tweeter on...I'd say turn all of your eq down, especially your treble, and maybe boost your mids up a twinge... also, if your bass has active electronics, I'd turn down the treble there too, IMO...
  5. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I have a WM10 and it's totally quiet, I'd say you have a power problem or somethings not right with the amp.
  6. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I went out and checked out my amp, the thing DOES hiss. I turned the volume down and tweeter off and it was still there. I have a Goliath III hooked up to it so it might be the tweeter on that. I dont think that the outlet is causing the problem. Its not that loud so I dont think im going to worry about it.
  7. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Yeah, old_skool hit the nail right on the head: it's not all that loud or anything, just an annoyance when practicing alone or whatnot. Nope, no pre-amp tubes and I've tried it in different sockets and different buildings. Like I said, it's not that it's really loud or anything, just kinda a constant hiss with the tweeter on (to be expected though) and a hum when the tweeter is turned off. Oh, and both my basses are passive. Hmm...maybe I got a bad one? Or maybe I'm just really used to my Crate. Like I said, the Crate is dead quiet. Literally, you can't even tell that it's on except for the little power light when you aren't playing and I really like that. Even with my ear right next to the speaker, I can only just barely hear a hint of hiss. Oh well. It's not like it's any big problem or anything, just wondering if it's common. Though I tell ya one thing, I plugged headphones into my WM10 tonight and crap! The hiss and hum is so loud! It's very annoying.
  8. JollySpudd

Jul 17, 2013
    I picked up a Crate GX-30M guitar amp for dirt cheap. It needed a little tech work due to the input jack solder joints being broken on the circuit board - an ez fix. A nice amp for 10 bucks. Decent volume, plenty of bottom, 12" speaker - for my tastes a cool combo amp for light duty, or as an FX amp for my bi-amp-ish system.

Anyhoo, as mentioned above with the SWR, with all controls at zero and nothing plugged into it - it hisses a fair piece. The amp also has built in chorus and a distortion channel, which both, when their buttons are 'in', add more hiss. But that's sort of expected, at least a tad. But when everything is OFF (except the power - lol) - the speaker just puts out hiss. Additionally, under the same conditions - nothing on - when plugging into the headphone jack, it's dead quiet and sounds quite nice during use.

Of course one can just PLAY LOUDER to improve signal to noise ratio, but since this sort of thing is not typical to all amps (as my others, as well as mentioned here, don't hiss when all is minimized) — My question is: Is there a particular output component (like capacitors, resistors, etc.) that might cause hiss at the final output stage after all of the amp controls, but before the speaker?

It's a solid state amp.

It seems that this is a possible issue with both tube or SS amps. What type of component might there be in common that might cause such a thing? -- The amp is circa 1998.