Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adrian480, May 22, 2005.

1. Which one is the best, and what is the sound different between Swr 750x and SWR SM-500

2. There should be no sound difference between them only a little more clean headroom on the 750.
    Unless you are playing large venues I cannot see the need for anything over 500 watts personally.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The SM-500 is 400 some-odd watts bridged and there is some question about running 4 ohm cabs this way. If you don't need stereo, go with the mono 750.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IME, all of the swr pro series heads sound the same.

the 750 will be a little easier to use eq wise, although not as flexible. Of course, my fave is still the old SM-900. :cool:

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Of the Pro Series, there is no best, only what works best for you.

To my ears all the SWR amps that I have owned (SM-400, Super Red Head) and played through (350, 550X) all sound pretty similar (I also own an LA8 which absolutely rocks for a practice amp but can't compete in this crowd).

When buying an SWR Pro Series amp you only need to answer three questions for yourself:

1. Stereo or Mono?
    2. How many watts?
    3. What kind of EQ do you prefer?

That's what I think anyway.

Here's a good place to find more info.

Click here.

:D

Joe.

6. Thanks I go fore the SWR 750x

I need:
    Lots of power
    Mono