SWR, Ampeg or Both?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Muttluk, Oct 4, 2000.

1. which in your mind would be a better deal, or basicly just sound better... SWR 350 matched with a SWR Goliath III, or Ampeg SVT-III matched with an Ampeg svt410he or go withc ampeg svt-III with the swr goliath III?
  2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I suppose the Goliath III is better than the Ampeg SVT 410HE - maybe you should rather compare the Goliath to the Ampeg Pro 410 cab, but this is very heavy and expensive.
    I heard the SVT410HE once and found it rather weak sounding, maybe the SVT410HLF (extended low end) is better. On the other hand I've only heard the best about the Goliath.

Regarding the amps: IMHO it comes down to something like preferring Mercedes Benz or BMW. The Ampeg has more power though and also a better EQ, but it's more expensive too.

Best combination for beefy rock sound is maybe SVT-III paired with the Goliath - I guess.

[Edited by Matthias on 10-05-2000 at 05:04 AM]
  3. I currently use the SVT4-Pro with the PR-410HLF cab. I went back to MARS yesterday to try a SWR750 and SWR SM-900 with a the same Ampeg PR-410HLF and the SWR sounded really thin and bright. You could get the bass, but I had to turn the mids off to do it on the SWR. On the Ampeg, I tried the same thing and got a nice SWR sound with the 800-900hz range cut out. Very NICE!

For the matching set, I would go Ampeg, just not the cab you mentioned...its kind of weak.

4. which cab would you recomend then ? the pr-410he? whatabout the ampeg head with a swr goliath III
  5. The only Ampeg cab I like is the PR410HLF. this is their 'Pro' version and IMO, has the best low bass response. It's drawback is that it's heavier than all get out, I think like 130lbs! The SWR cabs have nice punch, but the really low bass doesn't seem to be there at a usable level. Most SWR users I know go with the 4x10 and a 15.

The Ampeg head I tried with a SWR cab didn't sound to good. The amp seemed to push the cab where it didn't want to go.

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I guess my experience is the opposite of what's been mentioned so far.

I use an SWR SM400 head into an older AMpeg 410HE (500watts power handling). I run the head bridged (400W) for most applications or run it in stereo, and add a 2x10 cab for clean tone, when I want to add effects. It works very well for me and I haven't noticed any lack of bottom end. I occasionally use this rig for reggae gigs so if it was lacking in that area I would've been told it.

I tried the Ampeg HLF cabs and I found the low end to be mushy, particularly at higher volumes. The SWR cabs are very nice but they don't have the balls that the Ampeg cab does. I guess I prefer sealed cabs vs. the ported cabs because of the tighter response in the low end.

If you are going to mix and match definitely try it before you buy. As the other posters pointed out some gear works better with certain pieces than other.
  7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have tried several Ampeg SVT 4x10's, both regular and extended range, with my Mesa Boogie, and they both sounded thin and not very detailed compared to the same amp through an Eden 410 XLT and an SWR Goliath III. I ended up getting an SWR Goliath Jr. and SOB combination for more versatility. I also picked up an Ampeg B2R I think it sounds a bit fatter than the Bass 350. I tried the SVT III and the Ampeg B5 and although they had more tonal variation than the B2R, all three amps only put out 200 watts into 8 ohms and 350 into 4, so I decided to go for the cheapest one. You can actually get a B4 for around the same price as the SVT III; it's not a tube preamp, but it's got a lot more power-700 watts bridged into 8 ohms, 1000 into 4. One of those with an Eden or SWR cab sounds like a happenin' setup.