SWR , Ampeg or Hartke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Sep 20, 2002.

1. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I own a Hartke 3500 amp and I'm really happy with it. I asked advice about which cabs to buy to replace my heavey Peavey 410TVX (I'm thinking of two 210's or 210 + 115, between SWR Workingmans, Ampeg SVT cabs or Hartke XL series)

Please give me your opinions on the pros and cons of each brand of cabs. Conserning Hartke, I've heard mixed opinions about their speakers. Do they blow up easily? or are they as reliable as paper cones?

Any help with the Hartke questions or opinions on the other cabs is appreciated.

Thanks !
  2. Regarding Hartke - i'm not a fan of there aluminium cones, really bright and responsive, not my thing. I really like their VX series though, paper cones. Don't go with the Transporter series, heapa crap.

only ever tried my teacher's swr 410, it sounded ok, nothing special.

i like ampeg, got a subtle character. i have an SVT 210 and 115, and they sound great 2gether, and also they sound great seperatly and when hooked up with my eden 112

3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    a tech once told me that the aluminum cones cant breath "expand" the way paper cones can. This causes them to blow.

the hartke cabs sound good imo, its a reliability issue for me.

Ive played through hartke 2x10s in the past and Id avoid them. They had hardly any bottom end, and started distorting when I tried to add more.

IMO youd be better off saving more money and going with an Eden xlt 2x10, they IMO sound much better than any of the brands you're asking about.
  4. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
  5. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks guys, your advice really helped.

I'll go and look at the Ampeg SVT's and GenzBenz

Thanks again...
  6. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    AMPEG! I simply prefer the sound and texture of ampeg to anything else so I would suggest Ampeg
  7. I got a good SWR 2x10 for sale....good sound and heres a pic
  8. Have you considered Avatar speakers.(www.avatarspeakers.com) They seem to give the best bang for the buck! A 2x10 cab is loaded with 2 Eminence 56 oz. magnet speakers and a Foster horn. 600w rated. They go for $199.
    They sound great. I use them right now on smaller jobs and use my Eden 410xlt on the larger ones. I ordered a 1x15 cab from them last week and it also runs $199. The cabs are plywood instead of the junky heavy particle stuff some of the higher priced cabs are made of.
    I'm not partial to the Hartke cabs at all, but remember, on stage your ears are the only ones you really need to please! Good luck!!