SWR Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Oct 21, 2000.

1. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    I thought SWR was supposed to have a "unique" sound. I went to the music store the other day and tried out a workingman 4x10, 1x15, and head, and it didn't sound like anything unique, it actually didn't sound as good as my Genz-Benz 15MLT COMBO. What is the dealeo? Or is it just a certain type of SWR amp like the Mo Bass Head and the Goliath cabinets?
  2. The Workingman's series has a sound that is different than the classic SWR sound you get from their "pro-level" stuff.
    One difference is that the pro stuff has a tube in the preamp, another is that they use better speakers in the pro cabinets. Cabinet construction is also better in the pro line.

Personally, I'm not that fond of the SWR sound, although I had a Baby Blue II that I wish I had back.
  3. pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    No amp is for everyone. Personally I love the SWR sound. I have a SM 400S, a 350 and a Workingman 15. To my ears, SWR has a very flat (for lack of a better term) sound which I like very much. I think Eden also sounds very good but is a little too rich (soundwise) for my ears. Stick to what you like. Lots of good players use SWR and lots don't.
  4. I don't like the sound of their Workingman cabnets either. I've never played their Workingman combos, but the I do like the Pro stuff. IMO the Redhead blows the Galiean Kruger 2x10 combo, but it's not quite the Eden Metro which I like alot. It's just too much loot for me!
    (My Redhead I found used for a good deal)
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's weird. I love the "Eden sound" and that's the rig I use, but I like the sound of the Super Redhead over the Metro. Don't ask me why. It's just one of those things.