1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR and MarkBass gear shifts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WRXbase, Apr 1, 2009.

1. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Seems like when I first started being serious about playing bass, lots of guys were after SWR stuff. For lack of a better phrase, is MarkBass just the new SWR?

2. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    No. Mark Bass is the new Genz, which was the new Mesa Walkabout, which was the new SWR, which was the new Hartke, which was the new Ampeg.

Or variations thereof.

Trends come and go. Play what you like.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    In my case, this is a literal truth. I went from using a Studio 220 in the late 80s/early 90s to a Super Redhead+Gol Jr. III, with a little Baby Blue thrown in there, to using an LMII.

The one constant in my amp collection since 1994 is my SVT-CL.

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I've had a SWR 350 redface then an LMII which then got replaced by a Neopak. Found that all 3 have quite different characteristics. The Neopak is my favorite but I just bought a SWR head for backup which originallly was in a Silverado combo. Keep going around in circles.:hyper:

I need to try some Ampeg gear. Last ampeg was a tube SVT in 1976 (or some where around there)

5. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    HAHAHA! Totally got ya. :)

6. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I think a more accurate timeline would be:

Ampeg>Acoustic>GK/Hartke>SWR>Eden>EA>GB>MB

some guys do play Mesa and you could also see a lot of Thunderfunks on TB two years ago but they retain a more boutique' sense.