Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR????? any comments

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baconious, Mar 27, 2004.

1. baconious

baconious

Mar 27, 2004
    jackson, MI
    i have been lookin into a new bass rig ever since my trusty 1974 kustom 250 decided to take a crap on me....i have lookeed at alot of spec pages and it seems that SWR has the most efficiant speakers out there right now.......i have never heard anyone play thru any SWR gear os i was wondering if anyone out there has had any run ins with this brand...would it be good for playin metal thru??? do they have a nice tone to them cuz its hard findin something that even comes close to my poor fried baby(kustom250)..i was also thinkin about gettin a 750X to go with said cab...any comments would be great thanx....

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm not sure what kind of bass sound you need for metal, but the swr amp with swr speakers (proline) will probably have punchy fairly deep lows with moderately bright midrange and some might say clanky/hot treble depending on how you tune the dial. I'm not saying this is bad it just depends on what your looking for. ask j-raj he had a swr 350 with a triad pro cab, now he's running aguilar cabs with the 350.

if your buying the workingman line you'll get less low end and a fuzzier (best word I could think of) midbass tone than the pro line. I've owned both.

3. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    I currently play through a SWR Goliath III Jr, and Son of Bertha. I too chose them for their effeciency, since my amp is a 300 W tube amp. I don't play metal, but may bands music is VERY wider varrying, and some of it get's quite heavy. I haven't found much else out there that has more punch than the S.O.B. for a 15 in, and the Goliath Jr sounds super tight. I love them.