Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Baby Baby Blue II: 1x10 vs older 2x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mburd, Oct 26, 2004.

1. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    I'm auditioning a newish 12/03 mfg BBBII 1x10.
    Who amongst ye has any side by side experience with the 2 speaker configs? I'm not impressed with the LeSon tweeter (same as Workingman's..) but the balance of features/sound are quite impressive. The PAS 175W cast-frame 10 is the same driver as in the Goliaths.

Main use: singer/songwriter "americana/folk" drummerless trio, using Turner Ren fretless and Specor USA NS-JH5, both w/TI Flats. Always using sound reinforcement regardless of venue.

I seldom see these show up used.. you all hang onto them?
    Also, reasonable price to pay for like-new unit?
    Is the older 2x8 worth hunting down?
    -tnx..

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I prefer the 2x8, there's more total speaker surface area, and the 8's are tighter sounding. Also, the 2x8 uses a small (5" I believe?) speaker as the "tweeter" instead of a piezo or horn-type tweeter, which is much smoother and natural on the high end.

The 10"-er is a tad more portable, though, with smaller dimensions.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    never compared the two. Ive had the head only version for years. I ran into two great condition baby blue extension cabs in nyc a year or so ago and cried cause i didnt have the $$. They were great cabinets.

4. Never tried the 1x10, but had a Baby Blue 1 for years. I imagine it would work pretty well for you as long as you have PA support...those 8s don't throw lows worth a damn.

5. Grazer5

Grazer5

Oct 24, 2004
    Winnipeg, Canada
    I've owned a BBII for almost twelve years, having played with it in lots of different sized venues. The 5 inch driver is made by Bag End and the 8's were made by either Bag End, Celestion or Eminence. Most sound techs that I have worked with love the sound that they can get from my DI, and if volume is a problem just plug in a Golith jr. or any other good quality 8 ohm cab. the little bugger can roar quite nicely, thank you very much! BTW, I just replaced my first driver last week, the first time the amp has ever been down! :D

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i really dug those baby blue 2x8 + 5 cabs. However, i'm so glad i got the head only version because i can use it with whatever (even 8 tens!) and it carries like a breifcase going into the studio.

7. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    thanks, bass-chums..

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    As a side note, I'm going to put my Baby Blue II outside tonight for trick-or-treat with a CD walkman playing scary sounds through it. I'm almost certain I'll regret it, but I'm too lazy to haul out my big rig for it.

Anything for the kiddies, eh?

9. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    ha ha..
    I have (had..?) this tape of Tibetan Monks chanting.. that for some reason scared the bee-jeezumlee outta little kids when it seemed to come from a jackolantern.. not that I'm into that or nuttin..

10. "As a side note, I'm going to put my Baby Blue II outside tonight for trick-or-treat with a CD walkman playing scary sounds through it. I'm almost certain I'll regret it, but I'm too lazy to haul out my big rig for it.

Anything for the kiddies, eh?"
    You, sir, are a genius. I'm going to remember that one. Heh heh.

11. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I Totally agree. It is one great head. :cool: Sounds terriffic through a 112 with URB.

12. Mburd, I have a Baby Baby Blue 10" (BBBlue) I bought new last year from 8th Street.

I primarily play local musical theatre productions. I like the BBBlue in that context because it is VERY compact- there is usually no room for a larger amp like a Super Redhead (my other combo).

It can go, and has, in a lot of different orientations around my chair, and generally always sounds good. I'm going to try it with a newly-arrived Gramma platform next week for an upcoming show.

I do think most electric players are not going to be floored by the BBBlue with EQ set flat, just by sitting down, plugging in and playing in the living room. It's very mid-range heavy and too bright, with lows that really only come forth by substantially boosting the lows, attentuating the tweeter, and rolling off treble on the instrument. After you dial in a sound with the semi-parametric EQ, then it really sounds good!

When you take a BBBlue out to a venue and set it up, it's a different story. The prominent mids and highs usually abate substantially, even with EQ flat. After dialing in a sound, you then hear an excellent punchy bass tone that will be heard in all but very loud band settings. The EQ is something that you have to work with to learn to set properly (like ANY amp!) but that is the real secret to getting the best sound out of these little giants.

Most of the shows I do have PA support, and soundmen have liked the sound of the BBBlue's DI. Even the times I've played without a PA, the amp has been substantial enough on its own to generally get at least one request from the MD to turn down.

I've also run an 18" as an extension cabinet in places that needed more bass oomph. This is a VERY nice sounding combination. I have an old 90's era Sonic Micromini cabinet with an EVM-18B.

Mburd, for the drummerless gigs you are doing, with PA support- I'd say go ahead on the Baby Baby Blue 10".. learn the tone controls to sound good.. and also pop for a nice 8 ohm extension cab.. maybe a 12" or 15". Between the two setups, you can cover a LOT of lower-volume gig settings.

I paid $690 for mine new last year. There was a price increase right after that - they went to close to $800 new. If you can find one used, $550-600 might be a reasonable price. Opinions, all?

I can say I've been very pleased with mine.

13. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    ..good feedback on your experience, MichaelVee. Thankfully my dealer here in Maine is very supportive. I'll put it in the van and report back in sometime next week after a short road trip out with the dimunitive beast...