Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Baby Baby Blue

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jacka, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Jacka

Jacka

Sep 25, 2004
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post...Just wondering if anyone else out there is working with an SWR Baby Baby Blue Combo amp, and if so, what sorts of EQ settings you are working with. I'm having a little trouble getting the sound I want--too mid-rangy at times. A larger problem, I guess, is figuring how my sound while standing next to the amp translates to the sound in the room.

A further question: I'm using the Schertler 'STAT.Set' pickup, which does have a pre-amp. However, I found the sound to be very murky (a dull roar actually), when going through the 'active' input, as opposed to the 'active/passive' input.

Any and all comments and suggestions would be welcome. It seems as if I ought to be able to get a good sound out of this setup!

2. Hi Jacka-

I've had my BBB for almost two years now. In most rooms, the amp needs a substantial amount of low frequency boost. Since you only have the one semi-parametric control for the lowest frequencies, start by setting the enhance off and the frequency on the bass s-p at the lowest (40 Hz) setting, and turning the boost about halfway. Start playing, and rotate the frequency control by 1/8's or so until you find a good starter sound. Then adjust the boost to an amount that sounds just about right.

Then- begin turning up the enhance control (no more than about 1/2, or 12 o'clock, max) until you hear a sound that works.

Also, consider your tone settings on your bass itself.

The BBB has a very nice sound, but it almost always needs bass boost, since it begins rolling off around 63 Hz.

In some rooms, I've added an extension cabinet that can go lower, in my case it's an 18", but there are a number of possibilities.

Don't be afraid to really jack up the bass on the amp. BUT- be careful not to play the amp much above half volume if you do so.

Remember, it's more of a small venue monitor, or a recording amp, than something that can shake a room.

3. Jacka

Jacka

Sep 25, 2004
    Michael,

Thanks for the quick response! What a help. Yes, I've found the sound is a bit thin on the low end. I'm assuming you wind up with the bass knob at 2 or 3 o'clock or greater. And do you cut the middle mid-range knob? With my DB it sounds pretty honky, and I've been cutting, usually around 1K. I've noticed that 'Aural Enhance seems to boost both bass and highs, enough that I get an attack sound that's ok.

Do you find that the sound 2 feet in front of the amp is pretty true to what the sound will project to into the house? I'm not trying to play it in big spaces, just small bars and coffee houses.

Do you play yours through the 'passive/active' input? And what about the volume balance between pre-amp gain and master gain? Any advice there?

I will try an extension cab. I have a 15'. I'm glad to hear you have gotten satisfactory sounds out of your amp. Haven't run into too many upright players using one.

Thanks again

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use an older Electric Blue head and a 112 cab with the horn off. I've played around with the eq quite a bit just trying to get that sound in my head-- you know? I don't remember where the eq is set off the top of my head, but check when I get home tonight. I've been using a K&K BassMax for about 2 years and it was OK. I finally got the matching preamp and that made all the difference in the world.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have the original BB, the 2-8" version. For upright I've always needed to roll off mids near 800 Hz to control honkiness.

Don't worry about using the passive input, if the preamp clip LED doesn't come on easily you're good to go. Sounds like the Schertler pre likes to see the higher impedance of the passive input. I also have a STAT-B and preamp and have always used the passive input with no issues.

The sound the amp projects is going to change depending on the acoustics of each room you go into. In my experience in small rooms unless you set up in a corner what you hear is pretty much what the room hears.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I run my BBII 2x8 with:
    enhance at about 30%
    bass para at 100hz, about 2 o'clock
    mids para at 800hz, about 10 oclock
    highs para flat
    both volumes at about 50%.
    Having said all that, I only use this amp with drummer-less jazz combo with piano, sax, and db. It works reasonably well even in larger rooms with this instrumentation. Add a "vigorous drummer" and you're done for. A drummer with dynamics becomes a negotioable situation.

As an aside, bass sound waves roll out in 12 foot increments, so, to really get a representational earfull of your sound, be about 12 feet from your amp.

7. I have a BBII 2x8 combo. I seem to have totally the opposite situation with its sound ,to the posts above. I have loads of bass, and in some rooms I need to use the quasi parametric( no Q control) on the pre amp to roll the bass off. I use it with a Realist pickup, and normally just have it going in straight with no EQ. It sounds really nice and natural and open, almost as good as a microphone, but can be a little boomy. In fact because there is so much bass, when it is a louder gig, I use it with a Gallien Kruger 150 combo with a Wilson pickup into it, to add definition . I get the thump from the BB and the note from the GK.
    If I am doing a small gig, then I just use the GK.
    You have to balance it to what your instrument sounds like. The one I am using at the moment has loads of bass, so...............

8. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    realist pickups tend to have alot of bass in them anyway... with my baby blue head and an swr 2X10 speaker i have to boost the bass and i also boost the mids, and i roll off the highs. i have an underwood type pickup, and these pickups typically have too much high end and not much bass... with that amp and those settings i can get a pretty decent sound

9. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I saw Stanley Clarke and he was using a BB. sounded pretty good to me!

10. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I had the original 2-8" combo for years. I pulled the head out and sold the cab. I use the head for small gigs and as a spare.

The combo can sound great, I wonder what pick-up you use and if that's the source of the mid-boost. The other thing is that it is rear-ported, so you may need to move it around a bit to get good bass response.