Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Baby Baby Blue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Good Day all,

Has anyone here played the Baby Baby Blue combo. I played the Baby Blue and thought that it had a very transparent sound. I am looking for a used Baby Blue, but perhaps a new Baby Baby Blue would be good. It has a 10" and a tweeter and the speaker section is considerably more efficient, 98dB compared to 90dB. If anyone has played it and can compare it to the Baby Blue or other amps, it would be appreciated.

Geoff

2. Hey Geoff,
    I had one for a couple of years. I demo'd both the GK MB150 and the Baby Blue. The BB had a much nicer tone and handled the low "B" string much better than the GKs I tried.

I used it for small gigs and as a bass monitor when I was going thru the PA. I loved the transparent and studio-like sound (I also have Acmes - which sound similar).

It didn't have a ton of power (150 wps, I think), but it worked great as long as I didn't ask it to deliver beyond it's specs.

I was an idiot and sold it. I ended up replacing it with an SWR WM12. While a nice small combo, I really miss the Baby Blue. Someday, I'll own another.

Jeff

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Jeff,

I assume you're referring to the 2x8 combo.

4. I am referring to comparing the 2x8 to the 1x10 Baby Baby Blue. I have played the 2x8 and I really liked it. I was wondering if anyone could compare the 2x8 to the 1x10.

Geoff

5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have BB 2 x 8 it is a very nice small combo, and light to carry around:)

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    it is not a very loud combo and it is not really meant to be. i think it's more for accuracy than anything. the old baby blue is said to have one of the purest preamps for recording ever... i'm not sure if it's true but that is what has been said about it. if you have loud gigs this is not the combo for you. if you want a really hi-fi sound and as jeff stated, are using it as a monitor onstage or for small gigs, then go for it. the baby baby blue is very new and i have not seen any anywhere yet. so i can't compare them for you. sorry...

7. Hey there
    I had one for about a year...bought it as a recording amp, but when I tried to track with it the BB sounded like flat, toneless poo and I ended up using the studio's B-15. The 8" speakers have very little low-end throw, so it's not much good for practicing or playing gigs without PA support. Might work better for URB, I never tried it.
    It's a nice little amp, but not very practical for electric bass. If you mostly play alone at home, the BB would be a good choice for you.