Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Baby Blue 2x8" cabinet specs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Bonny, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Got a couple of 8" Eminence speakers I wanna build a floor wedge for and I'm looking for dimension and porting specs/drawings of the SWR 2x8" Baby Blue cab. (or any similar 2x8" cab?) I tried to rent one to get the measurements but all that's out there now is the new single 10" model. Any help here much appreciated.

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    yeah check with Steve Azola of Azola basses he has one. I suggest you have him make you a 2X8 cabinet. I have plenty of personal expirience with him, he 's a good builder and a good guy. I had a 2X8 cab he made and it was awesome.

3. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    One of Steve's Deco basses is my main instrument so I know that dealing with the Azolas is good advice. I have access to a shop and the inclination to do this myself though. I just need the design. I know Steve likes the BB a lot but didn't know he had built any of those type of cabs. I drop him a line and see if he'll part with the plans.

Thanks man.
    jb

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well lesse.
    the baby blue was 14.5"W x 24.5"H x 12.5" D - 42#
    the electric blue head only was 14"W x 4.7/8"H x 13.7/8 D- 12#

so my guess is the cab only was about 14.5"W 20"H x 12.5"D /30+#

looking at one from the front the two 8" drivers are mounted diagonally with the bottom one pretty close to the lower left corner. the 5" is located close to but not against the upper left corner. the 8" were custom celestion drivers, the 5" was a ferro-fluid cone tweeter from bag end. the cab was 8 ohms made from 5/8" or 3/4" maple or birch plywood.

sorry i couldnt be any more help

i did see two of those in new york about 18 months ago going for 250 each. lemme know if you get plans for those i like those cabs.

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    [​IMG]

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Before you do anything, make sure those speakers will work well in a cab the size you're planning to build. There's no point doing it if the cab you're looking at is too large or too small. There's also the cabinet tuning to take into account. Get all that wrong and even great speakers will sound like garbage.

Which Eminence 8's are they?

7. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    The ones they built oem for SWR that came in the later model Baby Blue II.
    I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful but if we can just stick to the actual question instead of giving me the default punt into the clueless pool...? Thanks.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well if you'd mentioned that in you original post, I wouldn't have!

9. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC

So I gotta explain and qualify every last detail or it's somehow MY fault you coughed up a condescending answer to a question I didn't ask? You really wanna be helpful? Go measure a BBII cab and tell me where the ports are and if there's any internal baffling. THANK YOU.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well it beats posting half the info, leaving the rest of TB to guess, then shooting them down when they guess wrong.

Good luck with your cab.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I thought Petebass's response was reasonable and in no way condescending. Your response is quite out of line, IMO, especially if you want others to help you.

FWIW, my Baby Blue II has two OEM CELESTION 8's and a 5", and the port is triangularly shaped. Its at my guitarists studio at the moment, so I can't measure it, not that I'm feeling very eager to help you after you slam the valued regulars here who were only trying to help . . .

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bro, pete wasn't in the least bit condescending in his advice. too many people put innapropriate speakers in boxes due to lack of knowledge. you're setting the negative tone here, not him.

oh, and by the way, you're welcome for my help. next time i'll think twice before going out of my way and looking thru my archives to provide you with detail on a very esoteric and rare cabinet.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Boys. BOYS!

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I just remembered something, Steve sold his Baby Blue last year. Sorry.

15. A lot of people post on here looking to try their hand at cabinet building. Most start out green with very little knowledge. The people who responded had no idea they were in the presence of Cabinetus, He Who Knows Everything Except the Particulars of the Baby Blue. Sorry for wasting His Excellency's time.

Mike

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Still defiant, still seeking help.

. . . now where did I put that "strap" thread???? :ninja:

17. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC

At this point just defiant.
    I may be one ultra-crusty ol' bas tard but I ain't thinking I can barge in here telling the peanut gallery to get stuffed and still expect any help from that quarter. Guess I need to come equipped with more grains of salt when asking for free advise around here...
    Ya gets what ya pays for, eh? At this point just defiant.
    I may be one crusty bass-turd but I ain't thinking I can tell the peanut gallery to get stuffed and still expect any help from that quarter. Guess I need to come equipped with more grains of salt when asking for free advise around here...
    Ya gets what ya pays for, eh?

BTW I was just over at that "what strap" thread and they're still roasting the slimy ingrate about how low he shouldn't wear it.

{walking away...}

18. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Closed. Try again jbonny - next time try to give a little respect to those who are taking the time to offer help to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.