SWR Baby Blue II...a couple questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FireBug, Mar 14, 2006.

1. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    From what I could find on here there have been two runs of the BBII (2x8) with different speakers. The first run had Bag End speakers which had a more degradable rubber surround and the second run had better Celestion speakers. I read something about a possible third run with Eminence.

Which speakers sound the best and how do I tell the difference?

In one of these pictures it looks like the cones are smooth and the others are rippled. Which is which? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Sorry dude, I'm on the road this week....checked UPS's site and they tried to deliver my BB2 today .....no signee? no ampee! I'm really intrigued by the BB Monitor.
  3. Below is an email I got from SWR. Honestly, I'd have thought it woulda took longer than a week to hear from them. Maybe Fender has been listening to us......

As I said in another post, Bagend doesn't have anymore of the eights or the fives. I would imagine that these are Celetions or Eminence. I'll let you know what is in mine if I ever freakin get home.

Thank you for your interest in SWR.

BB2 replacement speakers are still available. The SWR part number is
    006-7095-000 (Retail = $73.36). SWR parts can be ordered through any
    Authorized SWR Dealer or mail-ordered through Music Parts Guru by
    calling (630) 521-9170. SWR does not sell direct to consumers.

Dealer Finder: http://www.swrsound.com/dealerfinder/

Best regards,

David Gonzalez
    Consumer Relations
    Fender/SWR (USA)
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    there was the BABY BLUE (2x8), then BABY BLUE II (2x8, more power? different speakers), then the BABY BABY BLUE (1x10)

here are some webpage excerpts (cached on google): searched "swrsound vintage" click "cached" under first hit.

The Baby Blue Studio Reference Bass System was developed for the discerning professional bass player in need of a superior small bass rig for studio applications and smaller venues. The Baby Blue is a self contained system that delivers 120 Watts into two 8 inch speakers and a 5 inch cone tweeter. The speaker system in the Baby Blue was patterned along the lines of studio reference monitors and is quite unique to the musical instrument field.

When the original Baby Blue was upgraded to the Baby Blue II in 1993, the following changes were made: Increased power output (160 watts) and power handling, additional chassis venting, cabinet impedance was changed to 4 ohms (from 8 ohms), Bagend 8" drivers were replaced by Celestion 8" drivers. The chrome grill shown in this picture was added in 2000. In 2001, the Celestion drivers were changed to Eminence drivers that more closely resembled the Bagend 8" drivers in the first Baby Blue.

I thought I read somewhere about swr using PAS speakers? I could be wrong
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  6. iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    In this case, Celestions have ridges. Not sure about the BE's but I think they are smooth. Don't know how the Eminence looked. Never have been able to do a side-by-side comparison.

With their impedance and wiring, the Bag Ends have a total impedance of 8 ohms. The Celestions have a total impedance of 4 ohms. The amp never changed but the output is greater due to the cabinet impedance.
  7. Just got mine 10 minutes ago. Its got Celestions and problems!!!!!! Gonna start a new thread.
  8. Just got mine 10 minutes ago. Its got Celestions and problems!!!!!! Gonna start a new thread.
  9. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Is there a way to tell which drivers you have short of taking them out? Looking through the back port of my BBII, there are no labels on the speakers themselves...