Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Baby Blue II - case for head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brad Maestas, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Hello everyone,

I want to get a case for my Baby Blue head and am curious if any companies make ready-fit cases for it or if they are, at all, readily available. Right now I just have the combo and I want to transplant the head. I realize I can probably just call up some guys and give them dimensions but I want something nice.

I know some of you have done the same thing and I wondered if I should consider having it cushioned with foam instead of the regular hard-mount method. How does it even mount? Also, owning the Series II model, I am aware that it needs sufficient air circulation. Of all the pics I've seen of the head, the case never had vents in the top or bottom.

Last question. Is everybody's tube shield as stubborn as mine? I damn near fractured the board trying to get the shield off!

Thanks
    Brad

2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    The early Baby Blue and Electric Blue heads did not have the vents on top and were added to the Baby Blue II and Electric Blue II. Here's a pic of a case a friend of mine made for his Baby Blue head.

Attached Files:

3. Interesting solution.
    I haven't seen it done that way before.

I remember seeing one mounted in a snug-fitting rack case. I can't find that picture anywhere but no big deal. I'll just have to place an order.

Thanks,

Brad

4. Okay now I am trying to find a company that can make me a simple case but mounting this thing might be tricky. It doesn't have any rack ears. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking at Calzone and the like but having not ever placed a custom order, I'm seeking advice.

5. I'm looking for something like this from basstasters.

[​IMG]

I tried emailing Todd but his basstasters email doesn't work. Anybody know how to get a hold of him?

6. Did you try PM'ing him? His TB name is vanselus

7. thank you for reminding me!

8. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    gee,i don't know,i have a electric blue head and it has the same case as the one you posted from basstasters but it's original from the factory;you could try a long shot and check with swr to see if they can help;also there's a place called
    PEARSON CASES.COM
    i bought a wood/carpet case for my gb440/thunderfunk for 30. shipped,they might make you one,hope this helps :meh:

9. thanks, woodenteeth
    yeah, I've tried contacting them several times and they never follow through and get back to me. :meh: (this includes both before and after Steve sold the company)
    I had the same problem finding replacement drivers for it.

10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Just had to show off a case a buddy of mine is building for my SWR Electric Blue head. It's kind of a copy of a WW, we call the Electric Woods. It's about 5 lbs lighter than the original wood case. I'll post more pics when it's completed.

11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The original Baby Blue came in nice head case. I bought one back in the eighties. It protected the amp and made it easy to carry. It made so much sense that SWR discontinued it.

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i still have my electric blue head in that neat-o rack case SWR made for it. Having taken it apart, it would seem that it would be no big deal for a competent sheet metal fabricator to fashion a top for it and make it a "head". Ditto for making it rack - mountable, out of the case it's a 2-space deal. However, if you want a wooden case for it that dupes the factory EB unit, that should be no issue for a competent carpenter either.

and yeah, until you get used to it, the tube shield is a bit daunting. once you get the hang of it, it goes on and off w/o a hitch. ;)

heck, when i get my finances back in order, i'd love to get some more of those EB heads.

13. modulusan

modulusan Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2006
    back to the death....:bag:

I saw this post a few days ago and made the same mod to my electric blue....black chassis....looks great!

[​IMG]

14. modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    the finish on the chassis need a few more coats...

I can change and try to get the same blue color.....

what you think guys? paint all blue or black?

15. Definitely black. Did this come out of your combo?.... and why?? The combos are awesome!

16. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    You need to put holes in the top to vent it or it will run hot.

17. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida

Black, I had mine powdercoated. Didn't cost much and looked pro.

Attached Files:

18. modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    no, this came with an anvil...not combo.

19. modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    I said the same about the heat to the tech....but he told my is not necessary and the holes up will no affect at all (because the design of the head). also the anvil hasnt vents.

20. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    another pic

Attached Files: