Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Baby Blue II vs. Eden CXC-300? HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Jun 11, 2005.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hey Guys, I am looking for a great smaller combo to port around to gigs but still get a pro sound! I am looking at the SWR BBII vs. an Eden CXC-300. I play mainly alt. rock/emo and funk/jazz stuff. I play at church and bar gigs that require a small amp but good PA sound support. Help me out because I've played the BBII but haven't played the Eden CXC... I just need something that I can hear on stage and that provides a versatile sound to the PA. Thanks guys!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've played through a SWR Baby Blue amp, and was very impressed. The bass player in a surf band I mixed sound for a couple weeks ago had one and sounded great. He had the head and a separate 2X8 SWR cab (not made any more). It was amazingly full. I've played through a CXC 1510 also, and it was kind of jazzy sounding. I think you'd be fine with either one in smallish venues.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I've only heard great things about SWR's BB. I've heard one from the audience and it sounded awesome.

Both are quality amps, though it's really up to you.

4. primeaux

primeaux

Jan 13, 2005
    I haven't had very good luck with SWR stuff. I absolutely love my Eden CXC. And I've played through just about everything out there....

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an swr bbII 2x8 that I love dearly. I use it pretty much strictly for upright in smaller venues. It does work exceedingly well for both db and electric within it's size limitations. Two caveats: It is small, and if you need more volume, you might be better off either adding an extension cab, or something like an swr super redhead. It also "only does ok" with a low b string at it's higher limits.
    An extension cab kinda defeats the purpose of it's extremely small size, which is while not it's finest asset, is one of the reasons I like it very well for when it is suitable...

I have no experience with this eden model, but imagine it is probably very similar to the swr super redhead, which I also recommend highly.