Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Baby Blue or GKEB150i???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Oct 15, 2004.

1. I have searched around here and I'm still lacking a few facts - so I'm wondering if y'all could help me out a little. Basically I need a small, high quality, combo for those city life gigs where small is beautiful - but I need power too. Looking at either a GK EB150 or a Baby Blue - the latter is more my thing for both sound and size (The GK's may be small but they are still pretty darn heavy, and I'm not a huge fan of the sound either).

This is all becaue the price of an Epifani 112 combo is ridiculous over here - almost 2K pounds sterling (3.5K US) - and importing one from the US is just going to be a pain, even though I can probably get a discount through a friend - but if anyone thinks I should go the extra mile for 'that' Epi sound - then I am all ears.

Big thanks

Mx

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have an swr electric blue (the head only version of the baby blue) and its the bomb
    you can check out my review of it here on TB
    a great little amp

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I've used both and like the portability of the GK but prefer the sound and In/Out options of the BB II. I wouldn't consider either an especially loud amp.

A very impressive little amp a friend of mine recently got is the Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout. 300W, 1X15", sounds great and weighs 13lbs. from what you've said this sounds like something to check out. If I were gigging regularly on the electric I'd have to have one of these things.

4. I have my EBS rig which is pretty loud, and I have the 1x15 on that - I will just have to try a few different ones out - I've wanted a small but practical combo for a while - I may look into the EBS Drome as I have tried them, they sound awesome too and I can get one at a seriously good price if I'm so inclined - thanks for your commments

5. basmeisje

basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    I bought a Baby Baby Blue recently and I really love it. In the store I compared it for hours with te EBS drome 12".
    Every time I prefered the SWR, lots more caracter. The EBS is very good (aspecially at slapping sounds) but it misses something, soul, feel, can't discribe what it is, anyway I prefered the SWR although I had a better deal on the EBS since I saw one in Paris 300 euro's cheeper then the dutch price.

Yvette

6. 'Urb', have you visited The Bass Gallery in Camden?
    Martin and Alex have a good collection of kit there and are very happy to let people try stuff out.
    I used to have a Euphonic Audio mini-stack with the iAmp600 which was very compact for the sound range and level. Doing more rock stuff I'm now using Epifani cabs (2 x 10 and 1 x 15 UL) with an Ampeg SVT3 but I also use an Ashdown ABM300 combo and an SWR Workingman's 12 for smaller venues and acoustic combos.
    The Gallery do have some second user stuff; I know new kit is unreasonably highly priced in the U.K. compared to the U.S. Having tried out some systems it is possible then to hunt out some bargains on TB, eBay etc., with some confidence of exactly what you are after and what a reasonable price is.
    Good hunting,
    G4

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I own both a Baby Blue (the 2-8" version) and the Epi T112 cab. The Epi combo should be a LOT louder...over double the wattage and a more efficient cabinet. So in that sense you do get something for your extra money.

I briefly owned the GK and was not at all satisifed with the max volume available compared to the SWR. Of course it is much smaller and lighter.

Doesn't Ashdown offer a 300-ish watt combo in 10" and 12" flavors? In the UK that would be first on my list to check out.

My $0.02.

8. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've used the GK MB150E combo for over a decade. It's a great little amp and I have yet to find something giggable that can touch it's portability. It works great for low volume gigs. It can get fairly loud too but tends to sound boxy when pushed -the lack of lows and highs from the speaker really shows when you get loud- the flexible EQ can help but only goes so far. I'm always on the lookout for something a bit more hi fi sounding with the same portabliliy as this combo.

9. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Hey urb_munki

I just got myself a HD350 with 1X10 and 1X12 Neo cabs
    The sound from these cabs are ridiculous for size and weight. The head weighs more than the cab. I bought it because I wanted the volume but not the weight of a full head/cab setup.

10. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    SWR Baby Blue - Enough beef to keep up with a drummer.
    45lbs.

GK MB150 - Really Light!! But won't keep up with a drummer. (unless you know it will be an ultralight acoustic jazz gig and he'll be using mostly brushes.)

A series 1 Baby Blue was my corporate jobbing amp for 10 years and I played with some bands that had loud drums and 7 piece horn sections. Of course we it was Jazz or Pop, no heavy metal.

With Baby Blue covered and bungied on my 2 wheel fold up cart I was like the Ninja Bass Player. In and out in one trip. Great amps!!

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've got a Baby Blue II that I use for small gigs and rehearsals, and it keeps up with the drummer, though you don't want to hammer a low B on it for long with the 8" speakers. If that's your intent, then perhaps the 12" in the GK might better suit you.

The SWR sounds TREMENDOUS, and soundmen I work with sing the praises of its DI. Sounds great through the board.

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Even though I own neither of these (unfortunately :( ), I've seen the MB150 on many jazz gigs and it sounded really good. Also, its very light and has as small a size as you can get with that 12

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I have the ashdown ABM C110 300 combo, it's a 320 watt combo into 4ohms and it has a 8ohm 1x10 in it. Its quite small and light. The sound is very great and covers alot of settings I use mine in a Metallica style band and Steve Lawson used his it for his music and you can't get any further apart in styles than that.

I found it much better than the GK 1x12 combo I tired yes the gk is smaller and lighter but if you crack it to me it sounded like it was farting out and rattling. The Ashdown is the best of british. I love it.

Hope this helps

14. Great stuff guys - just the kind of comments I needed - I went to the Gallery (London) on Friday and the EA 200w combo really impressed me - awesome sounds for the size - I also ran stuff through the GK MB150, pretty cool as well, and 400 quid cheaper then the EA which was going for about 1K.

The good news is that my "Epifani-combo-import-dilemma" is looking up as the guys there said they can get my amp, should I order one, shipped with their order - saving me a load of import duty. So for the size and the power the Epi 112 combo is my over all choice, I'm still digging my EBS HD350 - but I've taken off the Brightness just to get a little more warmth into the sound - and I didn't use my compressor on the last gig and the amp came to life a lot better - but eventually I hope to switch over to Epi.

All in the name of reserarch! Last thing I will add here though, is that I tried both the GK and EA out with one of the <b>Sei</b> Flamboyant basses, that they make at the Gallery, and now I love them! They sound wicked and they are actually affordable - but I have to get saving either way.

Cheers dudes

M