Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Swr & Bag End Owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rexspangle, Jul 28, 2001.

1. I think I have made my final decision after several months of research, reviews etc. I think I decided to go with bag end speakers. I am unable to try them out since nobody has them in stock so I was wondering if anybody has experience with these speakers. I own a swr bass 350 and am considering a 410 and 15.

any comments?

thanx

2. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    I got the S-15D and love it. The only problem is it is too small, an 18 inch cube looks funny under a 22 inch head but oh well. Really light too.

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    The SWR 10" are just as good as the Bag Ends.

4. The SWR Ben Ben 18" IS a Bag End.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you want a 4x10 and some bigger speakers, get the 18 with it. Their 15 acts a lot more like a 12 because it's so punchy. It's worth it.

6. you don't think I would be overdoing it a little with a 410 and an 18 with 350 w?

7. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Almost all the guys at BNW use the 15's and rave about them.Considering what they have to choose from.Which is damn near everything!They must be pretty good.

8. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    The guys at BassNW are very knowledgeable. But you also need to consider that they play mainly small clubs (according to Gabriel, who works there), so the speaker cabs with a long throw, like an 18, aren't as effective as something like the punchy Bag End 15.

9. does anyone know why the 410 doesn't stack evenly in the 15?

10. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Because it's a different width. :)

The Q10 (4x10) is about 23" wide, and the S15 (1x15) is 18" wide, so they won't stack.

For a better looking and sounding stack, consider the S18 (1x18) under the 2x10 or 4x10.

Head on over to www.bagend.com for more details.

Nightbass

11. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Not at all. That's one of the rigs they have at BassNW for us to try out basses on. If the Bass 350 is loud enough for you, the Bag Ends will put out a lot of nice sound. And if you ever upgrade to a bigger head or pre/power amp, the Bags will still be there, waiting to take all you can give them.

It's a somewhat small head considering the speakers you'd have under it, but it will work fine, and if anything, you'll get the most from your SWR.

Nightbass

12. sounds good, although I am not sold on the 18 yet.

13. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Dont forget BE's "other 15".It is wider and deeper front to back and tonaly as well.Costs about 80 bucks more than the smaller 15's.It does not have a tweeter/horn either and weighs around 60lbs.Perhaps this with the smaller/punchier S-15D on top or the 4x10 would be ideal.Good luck!

14. I have a question, if the peak musical rating is 400w (I think it was the 15), does that mean that's the highest power amp wattage you can use? Or do you think they could take more than that?

15. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Well, peak power handling capability is usually 2 times the RMS power handling capability (and some mfrs claim 3 times, somehow), and I'd pretty much ignore that number.

The rule of thumb is to use an amp that provides 2 times the RMS power of your speakers. Thus, a 200 watt RMS Bag End S15-D is best powered by a 400 watt RMS (at 8 ohms) amp.

1.5 to 2 times is the name of the game for proper headroom, freedom from clipping, and optimal performance. According to JBL, more speakers are blown from underpowered amps than overpowered amps.

A less powererful amp is acceptable if you are careful and don't drive the amp into clipping. A more powererful amp is acceptable if you are careful and don't drive the speaker into clipping.

Does that make sense?

Nightbass

16. Yep sure does.

17. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I called the factory and they said it would do the job. Enough said.

18. cool that is good to hear :)

19. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000

20. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    It should be okay, and I've heard a lot of people like that combination (Bag End S15-D and Clarus). The Bag is efficient enough and 120 watts will go a long way. If you find you need more volume, a second cab would be the way to go. You can carry one in each hand if you hold them in the rear port!

Nightbass