Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Basic Black vs. Ampeg B-100R vs. Ampeg BA-115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Hey guys I'm in need of a bass combo amp. I am looking at these three combo amps.
    SWR Basic Black
    Ampeg B-100R
    Ampeg BA-115

I haven't tried any of these but if you own one of these can you please give me some comments on each of these amps.

2. I love my B100R! I gig with it mic'd into the PA system and it sounds great.

Here's a live recording that includes my B100R mic'd with a SHURE SM57 into a small powered mixer that uses two JBL 1X12 Soundfactor mains. It was recorded using a condenser mic out in the room to capture the 'room sound'.

Mushroom Girl

The bass dosen't get really going untill about halfway through...

:bassist:

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Basic Black smokes the others like you wouldn't believe.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My favorite of the three is the B-100R... that's why I bought one. It has a unique vibe. The original Basic Black is still my favorite SWR amp, don't really like much of the rest of the line. I really like the BA-115 too. If you haven't heard a good 5 or 6 string through the B-100R you don't know what you're missing;)

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Having had a B-100R for a while and having bought a Basic Black today, I'll be able to compare and may even be able to eventually give you an intelligent answer! :p

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

There is a brand new B-100R that has been sitting at my local music shop for months and months. It's been marked down several times and now is at $325 (again brand new)! I have my share of amps right now and don't need it but it sure is tempting!

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey Quad, think that b100 is still there?

chef

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The B100 and the Basic Black are louder than the BA 115.

The Basic Black has more highs, if that is part of your tone. But it is not as overly bright as most other SWRs.